Subject: Re: FW: [AISdiscuss] CAPS #3
Date: 7/30/14 9:33:20 AM
From: "David Cupps"

As a relative newcomer, and as president of an affiliate that's growing
(BGIS), I have a few thoughts to share on these reports:

    b" On membership :B  While we have many long-time members
         who are focused on hybridizing and growing acres of iris, I
         think we should recognize that the vast majority of potential
         new members are gardeners . These are not people who
         aspire to create the next Dykes medalist, but rather people who
         love growing exceptional flowers in their gardens, and hanging
         out with others who feel the same way. I believe that we should
         be orienting our programs toward these people, and making sure
         that we always consider the novice iris grower in our general
         communications.
    b" On communication : as an adjunct to membership, we
          should be spreading our communications as far and wide as we
          can. In the Bluegrass, we have 150 people on our email list,
and
          they get something from me at least once a month, and I always
          include something that first-timers can use or be involved
          with.B  No, not all 150 are members - but when they hear of a
          program they're interested in, they come to the meeting, and
          they join! And once they meet nice fellow gardeners who talk
         them, they want to come back.
    b" On planned giving : We must recognize that our aging
          members have assets that they won't use when they pass on. And
          even if they gave just 5% of their estate to AIS or their
local
          society, that would be a windfall for us. This doesn't have to
          be a difficult conversation. We can remind people regularly,
          "have you included the iris society in your will?" We can ask
          older members with big plant collections, "what do you want to
          happen to your irises when you pass? how can we help?"
    b" On partnering : This is a must. How many of our
          potential members grow irises AND daylilies? AND roses? AND
          daffodils?B  Membership gains are not zero-sum; a gain for us
is
          not a loss for them. Some simple starter ideas:
cross-promotion
          of events through mailing/email lists; joint events with a
          special speaker; combined public sales. At a minimum, leaders
of
          iris societies need to be talking with their counterparts and
          keeping lines of communication open.

I don't mean to sound like I have all the answers. I don't - by far!B
But I've learned a few things, and I hope my ideas are helpful. Feel
free to respond to the group and keep the conversation going!B  David