Re: My second AIS ballot issue -- three iris per class on the Dy...

When I made this motion for Jerry I was well aware of the things being discussed. I wanted a fix in place, NOW, so that in the future much more could be talked about. This was a small tweak, but obviously there are major changes that could be made. But each of these major changes would cause even more problems, such that if you think the current amended rule is a problem byou aint seen nothing yetb. This tweak should buy us the time to think through changes in the award structure AND changes in the Judging system. It would be sad if the outcry over this current adjustment would cause us to act hastily, and produce lots of dissention without anything better. I was at the board meeting where the present rules were adopted and believe me it was not done lightly. Yes I have been around that long and seen that much, even if I was not any officer. I think it would take at least a couple of years for a committee to work through a more rational system. I thank Jerry for creating a!
  fix that can work until the larger structure can be reviewed and something better produced. But until you have better solutions than those that I have heard I think you should work on this with more deliberation. ==Bob Pries

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Morris" <1005@rewrite.aisboard.org>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:02:02 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] My second AIS ballot issue -- three iris per  class on the Dy...

All,

There was very little discussion on such a major change to our AIS Awards
system.  I would have liked to have seen a bit of study go into this.   I
seem to recall that years ago when we made the change to award three Wister
medals some thought that after a few years we would readdress reducing the
Wister to one medal award each year as the TB eligibles would have been in
appropriate numbers.  At a minimum I would have liked to see  the Sections
and the Judges' Training Handbook Revision committee be  involved.  Just
saying.  This is a knotty problem and Gerry has  proposed one solution.  Gerry
put this out before the issue arose  which is to his credit.

Jim Morris
President
American Iris Society

In a message dated 7/29/2014 10:22:01 A.M. Central Daylight Time,