Re: July AIS Bulletin for Emembers

Dorothy,

As an aside, you can join as an e-member for multiple years, there is just no discount for multiple year subscriptions.

Tom Gormley, AIS Membership Secretary, sends out renewal notices for e-members as well as for print members.

John Jones

On Jul 30, 2012, at 2:15 PM, DWiris@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> All this discussion is very interesting and a lot to consider. I am a Life
> Member who was not paying for access to the Iris Register and am wondering
> if it  is worthwhile for me to pay for a e-membership. It would be nice to
> have access  to the register and I always want my print copy of the Bulletin
> so I have to  decide if it is worth, not the cost so  much, but the bother
> of renewing  every year.
>
> Dorothy Willott
>

> In a message dated 7/30/2012 5:01:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> robertpries@embarqmail.com writes:
>
> All the  things you mention cost AIS very little. They are essentially part
> of either  membership. I believe you have been at every meeting for the
> last 5 years. You  should be aware that many of those years AIS ran in the red.
> I think it would  be a marvelous idea to offer a discount for
> combinedE/print membership, but  where would you make up the extra money to pay the
> bills? If scores of old  members would suddenly join with an e-membership, maybe
> that would work, but  only about 400 had memberships in the Iris register
> when it was $10 and they  were grandfathered in for the life of their
> subscription. My hope is that we  could make e-membership better and better so that
> it became irresistible. But  it is far from there yet, and the budget still
> needs balancing. Its a nice  idea but we still must pay the bills. If I
> could be convinced that a third  more existing print members would join with a
> discounted $10 e-membership than  I would be all for it.

John Jones
Director, American Iris Society
Chair, Electronic Services Committee
Co-Registrar/Recorder