Re: Wiki Motion

Dennis,

I too am having a problem keeping up with the discussion.  I have also
been following all of the discussion.

I agree with you about why would we want to put the information on a DVD
when it is out of date.  AIS was doing such a thing with the AIS
Membership Listing years ago and dropped that because it was out of date
when it went to press.

I think the idea of putting the checklist on a cd is excellent.  I know
the Society For Louisiana Irises has a cd of their checklist and we use
at the Tulsa show.

I think we all use the checklist for various reasons and in different
ways.  I lookup varieties with the online checklist because I do not want
to thumb through all of the R&I's and checklists.  We use the printed
copies at our shows/sales and when we go to the garden.
In other words, having the information available several ways is not a
bad thing whether it be the online irisregister, AIS Wiki, the printed
copies, and maybe even a cd.  We just need to insure that all of the
information is accurate and is the dame information no matter what form
it comes in.

Thank you Dennis for sharing these links.......cool.

Looking at the Wiki, it looks as if most of the information has been cut
and pasted from the online irisregister.  AIS owns both and sharing
between the two would be good.  I can't see the online irisregister
losing many members, quite the contrary.  The more people you have
working the Wiki means they have to be getting their information from
some source and the easiest would be the irisregister.

I too am surprised we had only approved the Wkii in theory and not given
full voting approval for it.  I believe this will be a useful and
successful tool to be used by many non members as well as members around
the world.

I too would like to thank Susan for taking the time to listen to tapes,
reading through the minutes, and informing us.  Now it is up to us to
decide.  The project is already underway and it would be very sad to
think all of the people that have been involved so far has done all of
the work for nothing.

my penny worth.

Paul

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:01:05 -0500 "R. Dennis Hager" <hager@aredee.com>
writes:
> I am trying very hard to keep up with this discussion and who is
> saying what. Unfortunately, because of the formatting, it is
> becoming increasingly difficult.
>
> I'm not sure who posed the question:
>
> "Could the content of the Wiki be made available on DVD?"
>
> Why would you WANT to put the content of the Wiki on a DVD? By the
> time it is burned, it is out of date.
>
> However, having the Checklist available on disk would be wonderful,
> especially for shows that might be held in a place without an
> internet connection. Fumbling through the R&I's while a show is
> being staged or judged is an absolute pain.
>
> It would be a good idea for anyone who wants to be a part of or to
> understand this discussion as it relates to the ICRA to visit their
> website at:
>
> http://www.ishs.org/sci/icra.htm
>
> There are several links at the bottom of the page that help to
> explain what it is all about. I find their "copyright notice"
> refreshing and "How to name a cultivar" enlightening. If you dig a
> little further, you may get to the Directory of ICRA's at:
> http://www.ishs.org/sci/icralist/icralist.htm
> From there, you can get to many plant society websites where you can
> freely access checklists.
>
> I am not one to suggest that all organizations should make the same
> decisions, but I do find it a bit peculiar that other plant
> societies appear to be much healthier for having shared information
> more freely.
>
> Thank you for reading this far.
>
> Dennis Hager

Small Business Tools
Compete with the big boys.  Click here to find products to benefit your business.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=bJVkTwYx-v7H7wxKlsMfgwAAJ1AdnTO-8mX61Xlhn6LFzt8JAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMQAAAAA=