Re: Wiki and Irisregister

I also thank Susan for listening to hours of tapes of very long Board Meetings to get a definitive answers on exactly what ever eventually set forth as a Motion!

Rita Gormley
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Wiki and Irisregister

I would also like to thank Susan for the time spent in researching this subject and the clarification presented.

Michelle

On 1/20/2010 9:10 PM, Susan Boyce wrote:
Hi all,
   I have been following the discussion on the wiki and I wanted to check the meeting minutes for exactly what was said, so for the last few hours I have been reviewing the board meeting minutes on the tapes, the board meeting motions, and the board discussions.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but,,,,, The wiki was NEVER formally approved by the board.
   The photo wiki idea was brought up at the Nov 07 board meeting.  The value of a photo wiki was discussed and the following reasons were given for a photo wiki.
1. The photo wiki will have iris pictures available for iris sales.
2. The photo wiki will give people a chance to look at numerous photos of one iris cultivar.
3. The photo wiki will have info on growth in different areas of the United States.
4. The photo wiki can have an area for comments on growth and bud count.
   Also mentioned was who is going to responsible for reviewing the information that goes on the wiki.
   Bob Pries stated that this motion is "in principle" and that it needs to be worked on.
   The board approved the following:  That the AIS investigate a photo wiki for AIS members on the members only section of the AIS Website. (Note the wording, "Investigate")
   For the 2008 board meetings the wiki was never brought up.
   For the May 2009 board meeting, John Jones stated in his report that "the AIS wiki establishment had encountered problems and was going slowly.
   During Bob Pries' report, it was again stated that wiki's have alot of misinformation, and that monitoring is constantly needed.  Also during Pries' report, President Epperson noted that the wiki would be for members only in the members only section.  Bob Pries wanted the wording changed so the board approved the wording change in the motion:  That the access to AIS wiki be made available to the general public and that all entries be reviewed prior to being entered in the wiki.  John Jones also stated that one of the problems in establishing a wiki was in developing a security shell.
   For the Nov 2009 board meeting the wiki was again talked about, but it was never brought up for approval.
   In my observations the photo wiki idea was formulated "as a photo wiki" to assist members in downloading pictures for iris sales, for looking at iris pictures, and growth patterns to evaluate whether or not they might want to grow a specific iris in their garden.   My question is when did the photo wiki become a wiki with ALL of the information being listed with the photos?
   Also since this was never officially approved by the board, what other legal ramifications (copyrights, etc) might there be with the information being copied onto the wiki.
   One more point to ponder as John stated is, the possibility of lost revenue to the AISregister, and also possible lost revenue to people not buying the R&I's. (why buy the R&I's or subscribe to the AISregister, when anyone can get the information for free?)
   I hope that I didn't step on anyones toes or ruin anyones day, but I thought that I, as the "official board meeting record keeper", I should review the minutes and state the facts actually.
   On a lighter, happier note, I got a new grandson last night.  I will be flying to Milwaukee, this Saturday to help my daughter and her family, and staying until until Feb 9th.  I will have my laptop with me and my cell phone.  If anyone needs/wants to talk with me they can either email me at irisgal@hotmail.com or call/text me on my cell phone at (801) 644-7172.
Susan Boyce