Re: Bulletin Discussion, Again

 I hate it when facts are distorted, isnt that how we
went to Iraq?

The AIS Bylaws do not define the job of editor further
than saying that one will be elected and that the
editor has the choice of taking a salary or a vote on
the board. There is no change in Bylaws.

Many of the attributes to look for in an editor seem
obvious, but every individual is human and can make
mistakes. Much of the current history has evolved
because our last editor was very good but not
infallible.

Advisory committees are designed for two purposes. To
give advice that might prevent a future problem, and
to make the job easier. There have always been
advisors and assistant editors. We have an
international editor and an obituary editor and a
advertising editor.

Just because President Bush has advisory committees it
does not mean he doesnt lead.

An example, the AIS science advisory committee checks
for accuracy and clarity in articles verging on
science that will be placed into the bulletin. It
protects the editor from later criticism that an
article was pseudoscience and should not appear in the
bulletin. The committee has function quickly and well.
Unfortunately there was one time when a paper was
submitted to the committee for review and the editor
indicated there would be 3 months to review and make
corrections. The article could have benefited from a
good deal of editing. The committee spent a lot of
time trying to improve the article but discovered the
editor had already sent it to press about the same
time he gave it to us to review. It did not inspire
the people whos efforts were not even viewed to want
to be helpful in the future. An editor can only profit
from advice if he listens. No person is talented in
every area and advisors can benefit the whole
publication.

I dont feel it is productive to idealize the
attributes needed in an editor. Any person attempting
it will have the individual positives and negatives.
Advisors may be able improve rough edges were needed
if the editor accepts their consul.