Re: Aloha to you!

Jim
I hate coming home from Hawaii! I feel good just hearing from you. MANY MAHALOS originated with some communication with a Hibiscus grower in Honolulu where I got Hibiscus plants (now in bud and 6' tall in the greenhouse!) in trade for a collection of reblooming irises including Many Mahalos (considered an exotic plant in Hawaii). Honolulu is as close to a mainland city as you will find on the islands and maybe that is the difference. Outer Island natives/residents are much less "Americanized". Spanish? OK?! The north coast (windward side) of Kauai has some of the most stunningly beautiful coral sand beaches that I could possibly imagine. (Also the most jungle and mosquitos in the interior.) Kauai is a little sparce on orchid growers compared to the other islands so we dont go there often. Your comments about Perry are right on. And, yes, I think the RVP rep should be scouring Region publications for general interest material. (We can add that to the job description!) Region publications to the editor are sort of hit and miss. An extra pair of eyes sure helps. Perry's Contemporary Views represents 48 pages of bulletin text - probably even 40 with reduced font size and reduced margines.???? No matter, they will not go to waste.
Terry - Aloha and Many Mahalos to you too!

MORRISJE1@aol.com wrote:

Aloha!

We just got back from three weeks in Hawaii and it will take some time to get caught up and used to 32F after 70-80F days and nights. And I put on shoes for the first time in three weeks too! By the way Terry, I tried out "many mahalos" there (on Kauai) and was corrected by three different natives to say "mucho mahalos." That seemed odd to me, mixing Spanish with Polynesian but maybe the mix of English with Polynesian is considered the same by them. Oh well, many thanks for the iris. Pele too.