Re: Contemporary Views

Aloha!

We just got back from three weeks in Hawaii and it will take some time to
get caught up and used to 32F after 70-80F days and nights.  And I put on  shoes
for the first time in three weeks too!  By the way Terry, I tried out  "many
mahalos" there (on Kauai) and was corrected by three different natives to  say
"mucho mahalos."  That seemed odd to me, mixing Spanish with Polynesian  but
maybe the mix of English with Polynesian is considered the same by  them.  Oh
well, many thanks for the iris.  Pele too.

Regarding Perry Dyer's Contemporary Views, yes, he has credibility and his
comments are always excellent.  He records everything with a tape recorder,
and then being an incredible speed typist, he first translates his "rough" notes
 to paper.  Then he edits them removing such things as, "yuck, what was the
hybridizer thinking of," and adding intro info as he goes.  The result is
almost a book for each growing season.  Yes, his views have been printed
(edited) in past AIS Bulletins and were well-received by the general iris  public.  I
know I always enjoyed reading them.  And he writes about  all classes that he
sees each year.  Sections have traditionally used his  write-ups of their
types (i.e., medians, LAs, etc.) in their publications and  MIS will do so with
the 2005-06 median copy this year.  I have no problem  with overlap to the AIS
Bulletin but to print it all would be inappropriate  because of the sheer
volume of the copy.  Perry is prolific when he gets on  a roll.

As Section Liaison Consultant, I write my quarterly column which includes
Section happenings and comments/excerpts from Section publications.  As  such, I
am scanning all Section publications for items of interest to the  general
iris public.  I can and do make recommendations to the AIS Editor  for possible
reprints.  If the AIS Editor receives the 24 Regional  newsletter/bulletins (I
don't know if he does or not) it wouldn't be too  difficult to scan them for
articles of general interest.  Maybe this is  something the RVP Counselor
could help with?

My thoughts on this subject as I scroll through my 137 iris emails.   That
doesn't include my family, daffodil, rock garden, hosta, junk, etc.,  emails.
It will take awhile if I owe any of you answers on  stuff.

Jim M.