Re: Website Candidates

I believe I am in agreement with Chris on the main points he made. Looking at my present e-mail page i have ads to the right and assorted information to the left. aeven if we did not have paid ads (which I think would be good) we could have ads to the right that advertise aspects of our society, sections, book offers etc. I think pretty is nice but interesting is more important. Todays user wants to find things. I also will repeat what I have said before that the design has to be dependent on content. It seems to be putting the horse before the cart to create content for a design instead of the other way around. I realize we are trying to take some big steps and do appreciate the work involved. Indeed I believe this is a huge task that requires lots of help. Thanks for some first steps.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Hollinshead" <wolf-com@rogers.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Sunday, February 1, 2009 9:15:30 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: RE: [AISdiscuss] Website Candidates

Some of what I write below is technical but please don't get too hung up on
it, that is there for JIJ and the designer. It is fine just to take in the
general concepts of what I am outlining...

While its nice to present a pretty face to the world, content is king. I
think way too much concern is shown here for creating a splashy main page
and trying to jam the whole website contents onto it (exaggerated but my
point is you cannot have EVERTHING front and center, much as we would like
to). I don't really like the oddball items down the right side... to me
these items looks a little junky graphically and they appear like an
afterthought.

There is something to be said for simplicity, and leaving "white space" is a
design concept. Every square inch does not have be filled with something. I
have resisted from time to time put to items on the main page, preferring to
put them where they really belong, where someone would expect to find same.

I would like to see much thought given to the overall organization of the
content. The content needs to be available in a logical and succinct manner.
Easier said than done, I know, as I have pondered and adjusted our present
AIS website organization groupings and presentation for many hours over the
years. Probably it could be better, it needs lots of thought from people who
know the functioning of the AIS and how it all pieces would logical flow
together under a limited number of headings. (and they do need to be
limited, four might be not enough, perhaps a couple more at most would work
better logistically)

The new site should cleanly and easily present our available content, so you
can easily scan a broader and deeper range of the AIS. The contents
navigation (what will be contained in the cascade menus from the main four,
should be: intuitive, easy to understand, easily visible and always
available in a consistent manner. I also don't really see how the AIS
website overall content would slot under the four headings as they are named
now. A simple search function would also okay to have too but should just be
considered as an extra option to use in conjunction with the main
navigation.

The original AIS website was designed in 2002 to the standards of the day -
monitors were smaller and many people ran 800 pixel width resolutions, and
high-speed internet was nothing like now. It is my feeling that in the last
couple of years computer hardware/monitors have far outgrown that
limitation.

The new design page needs to be wider - the current design of mine is 760
pixels wide to accommodate the old monitors and settings to avoid side
scrolling. The new design should go to 1100 pixels wide. This allows for
better use of today's bigger monitors - the space is there so I say use it.
Most new monitors run and look better at 1280 or higher resolutions
(1440x900 and many are 1680x1050) - so if you're still running an old
monitor (1080 or lower resolution) - monitors have never been better or less
expensive - and if you are not already there, I invite you to upgrade -
'cause the future is here.

The wider page (1100 pixels)also answers the call of a better general page
layout design (as yet unseen). It avails a 3 columnar layout format that can
accommodate copy and photos presenting content nicely with a proper
technical line length for readability (this is important).

It also allows for the future of potential advertisers ad formats. Allowing
the incorporation of spaces for internet industry standards of 300x100
Rectangles, and 300x250 Boxes. These are commonly run down the right hand
side of the pages.

Faced with the reality of shrinking membership for various socio-economic
reasons, website ad spaces could help to pay the AIS bills in the near and
projected future.

In closing I would like to see a re-work of the main page layout to a wider
and cleaner design and also like to see the design layout of the general
site pages which will have to hold the important information contents of the
AIS website.

All of this is offered as constructive input. Best regards.

Christopher Hollinshead | AIS Website
3070 Windwood Drive
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 2K3
AIS website: www.irises.org