Re: Joint/cooperative ventures, and a New PC-free LCD digital projector

Kitty and All,

We are fortunate here in Tulsa, Oklahoma to have the Tulsa Garden Center.
 We as an affiliate of the Tulsa Garden Center may use the facility for
our meetings, shows, sales, judging schools, and any other activity that
we would have to use the facility.  We do have to pay a fees to hold each
event but, it is a reduced fee for affiliates.  We have been an affiliate
since the 1950's and for a long time we had no problems holding events at
the Tulsa Garden Center but, when the City of Tulsa took full control of
the facility, we started having some problems so, we moved our shows to a
mall or another type facility.  But, now all is okay and we take
advantage of the facility.

Because we are an affiliate, we may also use it for storing all of our
supples, we also use their old milk bottles,donated by a milk company 50
years ago to display the irises in  our shows.  We have full use of the
a/v equipment to use for our meetings.  But, some of us do have LCD and
slide projectors for backup if the other equipment is in use by another
organization.  The Tulsa Area iris Society is only one member out of 30+
organizations that use the facility.  The Tulsa Garden Center also leases
the facility out for weddings and other activities that do not involve
the affiliates.

The Tulsa Garden Center is a very beautiful facility and you can go to
their web site at
www.tulsagardencenter.com and check it out.

Paul

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 13:25:28 -0800 "K. Loberg" <iris.loberg@comcast.net>
writes:
> [...]
> has to do with a slide projector.   For years, one of the problems
> we've had
> in our iris club is planning and getting programs for our meetings.
> Distances to bring in program speakers is far, and so often we
> didn't have
> speakers.   A few of us who did have pictures to share, have them as
> digital
> pictures but no one has had a digital LCD projector.  Several of us
> have the
> old style slide projectors, but no one wants to go to the expense of
> making
> slides from digital pictures.  We also had borrowed the AIS LCD
> projector
> once, but that required time to handle the shipping.
>
>      Now that we were affiliated with our garden club, I saw the
> same need
> with them, the need to have a local LCD projector.   With some of
> the savings
> our iris club obtained by using the garden club clubhouse, I
> suggested that we
> again partner with the garden club and jointly purchase a new LCD
> projector,
> to be used by both groups in the clubhouse.  They both liked the
> idea and
> agreed.  One of the things that sold us all on getting a LCD
> projector, was
> that I found a new "PC free" unit, one that runs a digital slide
> show without
> having a laptop or any PC connected.   I also found it at my local
> Staples
> store, and after investigation, ordered it online.   At the time I
> got a $100
> rebate and also used a $120 Staples awards credit obtained by the
> garden club
> from a copy center order the previous quarter.  The whole unit cost
> us about
> $800.00 plus tax minus the credits, and the cost was split by our
> two groups.
>
>      I have now given one presentation with our new LCD projector
> and it was
> used by one other speaker.  It does exactly what it was advertised
> as. no PC
> laptop or computer is needed.   It has a USB port on the back and
> all you do
> is plug in a USB Memory/Flash card containing jpeg images, and it
> has an
> internal menu which allows you to select and run a slideshow.  This
> unit has
> multiple methods of connecting to units, so it can connect to a
> Laptop or a
> Video player as well.
>
>      I have mentioned our success to a couple of clubs and have been
> getting
> inquiries about what unit it is, henceforth the reason I decide to
> write and
> post this note, hoping it may help other groups.
>
>      The unit we obtained from Staples, is an Epson EX70 LCD

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie
=yes
> &oid=63077319  and here:

http://www.aboutprojectors.com/news/2008/09/30/epson-releases-ex30-ex50-a
nd-e
> x70-projectors/ and here:
> http://www.epson.com/cmc_upload/0/000/119/948/EX70_ProdPrev.pdf
>
>     One of the nice benefits I see from having this unit, is that
> any of our
> members who have digital pictures (just about everyone has a digital
> camera
> now days), can select 50, 100, or 150 pictures, simply place them on
> a USB
> Memory card (sometimes called jump drives), and we can have an
> interesting
> program.   And this will help us retain members and encourage new
> members to
> join.
>

> Have a great day everyone!
>
> Kitty Loberg
>
> Calif.

Find the right teaching school to meet your educational needs. Click to learn more.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw25lFWqQxyETe5RKSZ9QiI5wrIdN6RSlPkJOat4PJRg7Llih/