Re: Website Candidates

Hi John and everyone,

     I appreciate that the design is heading in the direction of the design
of the American Hemerocallis Society's web site:  http://www.daylilies.org/
People may want to re-check out the Daylily page, as their website designer
Tim Fehr has done even more remarkable things with the site he's designed.

     I wasn't sure if you were trying to exhibit different design elements
between the three samples you provided, as all three looked pretty much the
same, except that the colors of the surrounding background were different.
I'm sure different people are going to pick different colors as their
favorite background.

     One thing that I see that I suggest be corrected, is script language
which will control the height and width sizing, so that it will
automatically re-size to the browser resolution size of whatever monitor
being used on the viewer's screen.   I have my browser set to 1024 x 768
pixels, and I know many who run it at an even higher resolution, such as
1280x1024, and yet others who use the older lower resolution, 800 x 600.
Depending on the resolution, the design can exhibit a very wide border,
about 1 < inches of a white border on each side of 2 of them in my case, and
I kind of find that annoying.  It is less noticeable in the green background
because it is a full green background.  Older technology and web designs
didn't pay much attention to this feature, but it is something that can be
accounted for today to accommodate many different sizes of monitors and
different resolutions selected by users on the screens.

     An example of java script language which will detect monitor sizes is:

                        width =
parseInt(document.documentElement.clientWidth);

                        height =
parseInt(document.documentElement.clientHeight);

     Another consideration is whether this design is going to carry through
other linked pages, and whether viewers are going to print pages (people
print web pages all the time).   Having a dark background and design colors
leaning towards the darker tones means that viewers are going to be using up
more toner on their printers to print them, and I'm all for being
considerate of toner use of viewers' printers. The purple and green designs
are in that category, and so I wish they could be toned down a whole lot for
that reason.   Additionally, although purple is a color I love, I suspect it
is going to clash with some photography that may be exhibited with the AIS
website.

    You'll note that Tim Fehr has specifically chosen a base neutral color
(gray, which will not contrast with other colors), and has his tones of gray
to be on the lighter side as well.  (He has toned down his background color
from a previous version he did which was darker)

     It is exciting to see progress towards a new design; thank you and
everyone for the efforts to get this far.

Kitty Loberg

Calif.