AIS Website Brainstorming

The Website; a change in perspective.

In order to design our website for the future I would
like to reset everyones perspective. Instead of
looking ahead, lets imagine we are in the future and
looking back. The American Iris society like most of
the world has become more virtual. Yes we still have a
printed bulletin which is a nice perk, but the real
work of the society is now on the internet. What would
the website look like?

Since the Society now lives on the internet what would
our home look like. First the first page is the front
door of our home. It is as attractive as our
neighborhood and finances allow. The front door is for
strangers and we want our best face/flowers put
forward. We want them to know they have the right
address.

Information about Irises is prominent perhaps like the
inside of some magazines where small pictures indicate
larger articles with a lead phrase are displayed as
clues to the contents. These leads would be linked to
larger areas developing the lead ideas. Some of these
articles could be in the form of news items. Imagine a
set of boxes down the right side of the page each with
a provocative article. One such might be a picture and
titled lasts years convention, a pictorial tour.
Another box might be a visit to a hybridizers garden.
A good mix of articles could interest people in
wanting to join in. Another type of box that might be
added, additional information and pictures that did
not have the space to be included in the bulletin
article.  Until articles could be developed, I would
suggest at least photos of different type of Iris with
links to a small photo galleries of similar flowers.

Using our house analogy we want to have some
interesting discussion in the living room as our
guests get to know us. Presently the AIS website is
used by me as a phone book. It is an excellent source
of links to all parts of the Iris community, But
surely we gain nothing by, not entertaining our new
guests and sending them somewhere else for food.

The first rooms of the website are not for members but
guests. Obviously members can learn very quickly how
to get back to the closets where what they need is
stored. When we consider that much of the society is
virtual we should expect areas of the site that are
interactive with members. The Wiki allows members to
upload and share their pictures, creating in the
process an illustrated encyclopedia of Irises. There
will be online seminars and judges trainings. Members
may be able to download programs that can be presented
at the next meeting. Symposia of favorite Irises may
be conducted online. Maybe we would have a peoples
choice award where people submit photos and vote for
the ones they favor. Website are no longer static
places as they were in the past. The majority of our
members will soon live in this new house if we
construct it in such a way that accommodates them. The
faster we get to this new home the more likely we will
retain and gain new members.