Re: Iris in the Master Gardeners Program

I echo the comments so far about master gardener programs and perceptions.  I have had contact with master gardeners in both Iowa and Nebraska over the past few years.  I have given a couple of iris programs to master gardeners in western Iowa, and as Ginny mentioned, there is the perception among many master gardeners that irises are difficult to grow.    It was also pretty evident that most of the master gardeners were not well aware of the diversity in the genus Iris.   From my experience, master gardeners are an excellent group for programs like this.  They are interested, invested in gardening education, and are very receptive to good practical information for themselves and to pass on to the public.

  In Lincoln, there is a local weekly radio show that is co-hosted by a Master Gardener.  Some of us from the Lincoln Iris Society have been guests on that show twice a year for the past several years.  Now, they routinely contact me and ask for us to schedule dates to appear on the show and talk about growing irises, our shows, etc.  And, a couple of other times, they have even asked, on air, for someone from the iris society to call in and help them answer a question from a caller to the program.  It has grown into a really nice relationship with the radio station (the only community owned, independent radio station in Nebraska) and the hosts.   We have 3 of the local master gardeners as members of our local club.

  There also is a weekly newspaper column in Lincoln by 2 Master Gardeners, one of whom is a member of our local club.  Usually twice a year, I also write an article to appear in the gardening section about irises and local iris events.  That relationship has been very good also.   The Master Gardeners are very visible and widely respected in the gardening community, probably helped in Lincoln by location of the land-grant University of Nebraska with an excellent extension service and a large Horticulture department.

  I think its an excellent idea to work on developing a program for Master Gardeners.  It likely would pull in some new AIS members, and also would get better iris information to some of those folks who are constantly speaking to the gardening public.  If we can teach them about the virtues of irises in their gardens and perennial beds, it will benefit the master gardeners, the public and AIS in the long term.  Sounds like a win-win-win situation to me.

  I'm sure there are a number of Master Gardeners that are AIS members across the country that could perhaps be tapped as contacts with state MG programs and leaders.

  Gary White

Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Ginny and Don; I greatly appreciate the work you have
done with master gardeners. It is my understanding
that Master gardeners are required to spend a certain
amount of time in classroom type programs. If AIS
could develop a structured program that we could offer
as an elective for them to include into their
educational curriculum and provide designated local
trainers I am guessing we could educate more Master
Gardeners. I have heard that many Master Gardenrs in
some ares of the country have been told that Iris are
difficult or impossible to grow in a perennial border.
If we could provide expertize to their curriculum
maybe we could correct these perceptions. I would like
to hear from many more people around the country to
see if we have the potential presenters and interest
in an outreach program.

--- VSpoon@aol.com wrote:

> Don and I have given quite a few talks and also had
> the garden open for
> several of our area master gardener groups
> throughout the last fifteen years. They
> are a great group and we always provide AIS
> membership information along with
> any of our talks. This year we are having a slide
> show and information to pass
> out at one of our local nurseries on iris basics. I
> have a feeling that it is
> the lack of knowledge on care and cultivation that
> may keep gardeners from
> growing irises. Even though master gardeners learn a
> lot about gardening they
> think that irises are hard to grow. I have a copy of
> the master gardener's
> handbook and the information is mostly general
> rather than specific. I have also
> read the information on the basics of iris
> cultivation on the AIS website and I
> think it needs some work.
>
> Ginny

> To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS
> Secretary
> Pat Randall

Pat Randall