Re: ConventionAwards

In a message dated 2/11/2007 9:41:44 P.M. Central Standard Time,
pwgossett@juno.com writes:

How does  this sound to everyone?

Paul

The Franklin Cook Memorial Cup is  awarded annually during the American
Iris Societys national  convention.  This award was established by Dr.
Franklin Cook during  his time as AIS president in 1947, and was
originally known as the  Presidents Cup.  Then in 1952, it was renamed
the Franklin Cook  Memorial Cup.  All irises seen growing and in bloom in
the official  tour garden of the convention are eligible for consideration
for the  Franklin Cook Memorial Cup, except irises originated within the
host region  for that years national convention by a hybridizer whose
garden is  included on the official garden tour, regardless of its
location.   Irises considered may or may not be official guest irises.
From 1947  through 1965, there were no restrictions concerning the
geographical  origination of irises eligible for the Cook Cup until 1966
when the  Presidents Cup was established again and first awarded.
Paul,

This is very interesting to me and if true contradicts what the physical  Cup
itself once said.  I remember receiving all the AIS Award Cups for the  1981
Convention of which I was Chairman, and seeing the Cups up close for the
first time.  I thought it most odd at the time that the Cook Cup said  President's
Cup through 1965 and said Cook Cup only beginning in 1966.  So  odd that I
wrote it down on paper, the wording and all the winners,  etc.  I still have
that piece of paper.  I have no idea what the  current Cup says since it was
redone during the Denver Convention.  Most  interesting.

The Presidents Cup is awarded annually during the American  Iris
Societys national convention. Eligibility is restricted to  introduced
irises originated within the host region for that years  national
convention or originated by a hybridizer whose garden is included  on the
conventions official garden tour, regardless of its location.   Irises
must have been seen growing and in bloom in the conventions  official
tour gardens, but need not be official guest  irises.