Re: Communications

    I think one problem may be, when you are on the AIS main web page, if
you are a new person, you have to guess as to where to find local club
information.   I might not have known that AIS Regions is the place to go.
I tried Iris Links, which gives me further links to "Iris Societies", "AIS
Regions", and "AIS Local Clubs", but each of these links is incomplete.   I
could miss a local club close to me if I were search through those 3 links,
as they do not adequately show all local affiliates with contact
information, and I could very well assume they don't exist.   The first link
to "AIS Regions" does take you to a list of region information, and from
there to lists of affiliates.   I do know that our Region 14 information is
now very current, as a recent effort was made to update our affiliate
contact information.  But, from this region list and the affiliate list,
there is no published link to our Region 14 web site, which would guide
California inquiries to so much more information on what is going on within
our State.   And from Regions there are no published links to some of our
local clubs which also have web sites.

     So I think my observations are that some redesign and consideration of
how the AIS information is made available could be re-visited and improved.
I agree with you Bob, that it is extremely valuable to have that local
contact information available for re-direction of interested parties and
inquiries.   Having it easily available on the web is nearly instantaneous
and will save a lot of other people's time in routing to contact points
which might be inadequate or unavailable.

     I do think there is a great amount of very important information on the
AIS web page, and it has taken a great amount of effort to get to where we
are, and I thank John and Chris and anyone else who has contributed to what
we currently have.   But as with any publication, electronic or printed,
evaluation of how things are being presented, brainstorming on improvements,
and implementation of the best ideas can only help AIS.    Ten years ago
people would not have thought the AIS web page was important, but today
there should be no doubt as to it's importance.   If I may, I suggest that
the role of electronic services be expanded to include other capable
web-literate people throughout AIS, who can evaluate design and make
suggestions for improvements, and help implement them.    Our current AIS
bulletin has 5 people published who perform critical roles.   I believe our
electronic services should be heading in this direction.

"It would be reasonable to query the RVPs in the summer and fall for
updates. Trying to contact each Affiliate is beyond the scope of what
Electronic Services can do."

John, I am really, really glad to know that a lot of the affiliate
information is finally updated. I appreciate that. But I do not understand
why this is beyond the scope of electronic services.   As you know, as
reported at several of our R14 regionals, Bill Coyle with our Scholarship
committee is generating automated fax/emails to a huge number of high
schools and colleges in our region, and it has increased our scholarship
affiliates electronically.  I just think the scope of electronic services.
the "Team", needs to be expanded to include more capable people and people
with time.  I know I have never been asked.

Kitty Loberg

Region 14 Webmaster