Re: AIS Photo Contest, award rhizomes, shipping overseas

Dear Kitty:

???? You would need to find someone who is licensed by the Dept. of Agriculture of that state,?to ship it. The rhizome would then need to be inspected by a representative of the Dept. of Agriculture.?A fee then would need to be paid to the Dept. that issues the phyto sanitary Certificate. Different states have different fees. I'm not sure what Missouri's fee is now but used tio be $15.00 most states are higher, I think. The inspector would know what the requirements are for Spain and he would have to certify that those conditions are met. Such as no grapes grown on the site4 where the irises were grown or no potatoes within the last 5 yrs. etc. Hope this helps. Dave N.

-----Original Message-----
From: K. Loberg <iris.loberg@comcast.net>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Sun, Aug 30, 2009 10:50 pm
Subject: [AISdiscuss] AIS Photo Contest, award rhizomes, shipping overseas

Re:   AIS Photo Contest, award rhizomes

Hi everyone,

    A unique problem has arisen this year.   One of the Runner Up winners is
from Spain.  The problem/issue is about shipping a rhizome overseas.  What
is involved?   Is it something Kansas City (Convention hosts) can handle
easily?  (I'm afraid this might not be easy.)

     I had someone from Canada ask me this earlier, as they were concerned
about a 'phytosanitary certificate' for shipping to Canada if they won.

     An idea I had, was to offer the Runner Up winner an alternative of
selecting a 2007 or 2008 introduced iris which they would order in their own
country.   With this alternative, AIS would not have to occur overseas or
intercontinental shipping, or whatever certifications might be required.
AIS could reimburse the Runner Up winner when an invoice was submitted to
AIS.

     Please advise me with some good ideas on how to handle this unique
problem/issue this year.

Thanks.

Kitty Loberg

AIS Photo Contest Chair