Communications, and Public Relations

Good morning.

Mr. Pries said:

<<  At present I dont feel comfortable forward a precious  lead for a new
member to affiliate presidents, or RVPs if cant count on them  following
through.  Maybe another layer of organization would just make  life more complex. I
am interested in thoughts on this from others.  >>

I have a moment here, which may not be the case of everyone at this time,
and I can respond from experience.

When AIS Membership Secretary, I received many communications of diverse
kinds from the general public, and also the more isolated AIS members. The
preponderance of these could be addressed in a very few minutes via  email, or
incoming phone call, and I did not find them burdensome; indeed,  I enjoyed
hearing from most people.

After I got a feel for the recurring  issues, I prepared information sheets
on the more often  raised questions or topics. I kept these on file to be
printed off as  needed, and just sent them out with an Invitation to Join,  where
apposite, and a brief personal letter. This took a very short time,  and a few
AIS resources, and constituted public education, a  major part of the the AIS
mission, and also Public Relations, in its  most immediate, and personal,
form.

If you cannot find the time, yourself, to deal with these things  to your
satisfaction, or to make a comprehensive pitch for AIS membership,  you may wish
to refer the prospect to the AIS Membership Office,  who will, I know, oblige.

But not all questions fall into the routine and general issues  category.
Those which involve cultural knowledge specific to a  geographical area, or
knowledge of the resources within an area,  including the Affliates, or anything
sensitive, should, I believe, be referred  directly to the RVP, who will have
his or her finger directly on the pulse  of things, and will have, or should
have, an intimate knowledge of the  strengths, and weaknesses, and personalities,
within his or her  geographical realm of responsibility.

I, personally, never had one moment's reservation about  referring anyone to
any RVP, with the exception of one in the Midwest  who seemed intent upon
causing trouble for the AIS Membership  Office. I encourage you to place your full
faith in the RVPs. They  will not, I am confident, let you, or any potential
new member, or AIS,  down.

As for the information on the AIS webpage being monitored for currency:
Well, yes, if course, if the information is up there it needs always to be  valid.
Someone needs to confirm all information on the  AIS webpage on a quarterly
basis, at the very least, and more often in  prime recruitment season. I'd say
the Electronic Services  Committee was the one to take care of that,
soliciting  confirmation on Affiliate contacts and so forth from the RVPs, who should
have it readily at hand, or, failing that, from the Membership  Office.

Perhaps the RVPs might be asked to supply Electronic Services with  updates
as they occur, and the AIS Secretary might be asked to supply  Electronic
Services with AIS national updates as they occur, and all such  updates might be
forwarded by the Chairman to the Webmaster, with  instructions to deal with it
in a timely manner.

Bottom line: Resolution of these issues lies  in optimal use of existing
resources.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA