Communications

There never seems to be adequate time at board
meetings for full discussions so I am putting this
topic out on AIS Discuss. I have entitled it
Communications for lack of a better name.

Let me present the problem. As Public Relations Chair,
believe it or not, I receive requests for information
from all over the country, especially due to our
advertising, I can respond in a general way to people
but would like to be able to connect them with a local
affiliate. Unfortunately this is not always easy.

I have used the AIS website daily, to find regional
websites and affiliate websites, to look for local
contact persons. I receive requests by phone, mail,
and e-mail. Often the listed, local affiliate
president is out of office. Often the new president
lacks e-mail and has not included a phone number on
the website. To connect interested people in a timely
fashion it would be useful to have a contact person
for every society that is willing to provide a phone
number, e-mail address and mailing address. I am sure
there are times when people go to the AIS website on
their own and cant find a way to get current, timely
information about local clubs.

I am not casting stones, even myself and my own
committee are not always able to perform at 100% due
to life intervening. But I am not sure everyone
involved in the present system or lack there of,
understands this breakdown in communication. Fairly or
unfairly, the AIS website is partly judged by the
accuracy of websites it is linked to. The AIS
webmaster has to receive information in order to act
on it. Considering how many changes there are in
regional directors and affiliate presidents each year,
it is daunting to keep everything up to date. Perhaps
every region needs an electronic secretary just to
make sure the local, regional, and national websites
have current information. But I would also be nice to
have a Public Relations Contact for each affiliate.
This should be someone who likes talking with people
and can be encouraging about their local club. At
present I dont feel comfortable forward a precious
lead for a new member to affiliate presidents, or RVPs
if cant count on them following through.  Maybe
another layer of organization would just make life
more complex. I am interested in thoughts on this from
others.