Re: Re: Extra AIS teleconference Tues Sept 29 5 PM

I agree with Howie that it is problematic at this stage to change directions.  I think that time is too short to actually carry it off, and not get it confused with the 2021 voting.  Contacting all the judges, and making sure that they know that they have to vote the 2020 ballot could be done in News and Notes, and  Bonnie could get the word out via the JT chairs, but I am sure that some would miss out.  Missing the vote for one year will not disqualify a judge, but missing two years does.

I also heard (or mis-heard) at the Board meeting that Jerry would only have to lop off the top half of the ballot that was already in the works for 2021.  This is not correct, as he will have to go through and remove all the 2019 AMs, and  leave the 2018 AMs for the 2020 ballot.  Keeping the original plan of voting in 2021 does give irises that are eligible for medals  more competition, as both 2019 and 2018 AMs will be added in the same year.  I can see why the hybridizers would object to this.

Howie is correct that not voting in 2020 will make the medal voting have fewer candidates in 2022.  However, since iris stay on the list for 3 years, unless they win,  there should still be enough to consider for most medals.

I  would like to point out that hybridizers were asked for input on this issue, and as I recall Paul Black and Riley Probst were the only ones who made the effort, and we gave careful consideration to their remarks in making our decision.  Where were these 20 hybridizers then?

I am not sure how I will vote, but I wanted to say a few things now, to get the discussion done in a timely manner, so we can all have the chance to watch the presidential debate if we so choose.