AIS Ballot system

Dennis, you have an interesting point, "What would happen if irises had to
be nominated for awards?"

I do agree that there are too many cultivars on the ballot.  And in reality,
cultivar winners do NOT win by a majority.  There is no run off vote, as you
would see in a local political election.    A cultivar can win with 12% of
the vote, like what happened this year with the Dykes, or 14% of the vote,
like happened in 2008.   If there had been a run-off vote, there would be no
guarantee all judges in various growing areas of the country would switch
their vote to the cultivar that had the 12% or 14% vote.

I do think often an iris makes it through the Awards system because the
hybridizer recognizes that to get an award, you have to be diligent on
getting distribution of the iris to gardens at conventions.

I do have a question.  It would be interesting to see the statistics from
the AIS registrar.   For a past period of time, 5 - 10 years. what are the
numbers of new introductions by types of irises?  Has that been published
and I missed it in a bulletin?   I'm wanting to know whether it is
approximately the same each year, on an increase, or decrease?

Kitty