Re: Emeritus Judges, Urgent

In a message dated 9/17/2009 5:15:04 A.M. Central Standard Time,
robertpries@embarqmail.com writes:

It takes  three people to care
enough to write a letter to nominate a master judge to  be raised to
emeritus.
In recent years there have been few nominations.  Indeed just glancing at a
rooster of master judges I see more than a dozen  that have performed as
much
or more service to their region or the national  than some of the current
emeritus judges. Is our laziness stronger than our  caring? You have until
the
end of the month to send Judy Keisling a letter.
I don't believe it is laziness as much as it is a poor set of  criteria.
The Handbook for Judges and Show  Officials states,  "This honor is given to
judges who have  rendered outstanding service to the Society.  It also
states, "That a  nominating letter is sent to the Chairman of Judges and must
contain a full  statement of the nominee's record of service to the AIS and be
supported by  written statements of endorsement from four fully accredited
judges, at least  two of whom must be from outside the nominee's region."
The Handbook goes  on to say, "Appointment as Master [Emeritus] judge is based
on service at  the national level that goes far beyond the expected
conscientious performance  as an AIS judge.  To be considered for appointment, one
should be a judge  whose leadership and dedication to the ideals of the
Society are of genuine and  obvious distinction."

We already have an award for "outstanding service to the Society," it is
the Distinguished Service Medal.

My opinion on criteria for Emeritus Judge is that it should be an  award
for the outstanding quality and quantity of one's judging  ability, skill and
performance -- not service.

Does the judge have a thorough knowledge of irises?  Does he/she grow  a
representative collection of iris types that can be grown in his/her area and
adds some new varieties each year?  Does he/she visit other gardens each
year?  Does he/she visit local area hybridizer's gardens to evaluate
seedlings?  Does he/she visit these gardens more than once in a two-year  time
period?  Does he/she give freely of their time and money to perform  their
judging duties?  Does he/she teach Judges' Training classes?   How often? In
various regions and areas of the country?  Does he/she attend  Judges' Training
classes?  Does he/she tutor apprentices in garden  judging?  Does he/she
judge Iris Shows?  When was the last time they  did so?  Does he/she judge all
types of irises and sections of the Iris  Show?  Does he/she enter Iris
Shows regularly to maintain their familiarity  with the process of selecting,
transporting and grooming irises?  Continued  refusal to judge shows when
invited to do so is neglect of duty, as is failing  to vote the Official Ballot.
 I have personal knowledge of one nationally  known hybridizer who refuses
to judge all types of irises exhibited in a show as  "not being qualified to
judge certain types."  My contention is that  all judges are qualified to
judge any type of iris if they are conscientious and  use the AIS criteria
established for the iris types in the Handbook for  Judges and Show Officials.

Awards are important to any organization.  Criteria should be  also.  As an
Emeritus Judge, I contend that the criteria for this award is  woefully
lacking in detail and succinctness.

Jim  Morris