RE: Motion for reinstatement of Photo Coordinator

I like the idea of having photos on disc for retrieval.  As the world's worst
photographer, I am constantly looking for a good picture of my own
introductions - "relying on the kindness of strangers" as it were.  To have a
reliable source for photos would be heaven, whether on the wiki, in the AIS
library or with the Editor of the Bulletin.  It seems like a HUGE job for one
person, but at this time I think a Photo Coordinator is becoming necessary.

Cheryl Deaton

> Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:08:47 -0400
> From: robertpries@embarqmail.com
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
> Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Motion for reinstatement of Photo Coordinator
>
> Terry is correct that there will be a need for high resolution photos. In
fact
> we have that need right now if we expect to have Iris pictured on the cover
of
> any national magazine. Of course this hasn't happened recently, perhaps
> because an outsider would not know about the wonders of Rita. Having an
> organized process, such as I suggested, that would go into the job
> description, ensures a bit of disaster planning. If you have a system set
up
> and functioning,(perhaps promoted), it could stimulate its use by garden
> writers. We might see more interest in writng about Irises. If the
photographs
> were cataloged well it we might be able to generate copyright fees for AIS
or
> the photographer, depending on how it was going to be used. Currently we
are
> dependent on a very small group of people who may not be thinking in terms
of
> a cover shot. A photographic coordinator could reach out to several good
> photographers, at a convention for example, and get more people involved.
> Involving members is important to our health as an organization. Discs are
> easy to copy. If there is a concern that something may go into the library
and
> never be seen again, it would not be too hard to make copies that go
directly
> to the slide program chair, the wiki chair, the bulletin editor as part of
> backup.

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsofts powerful SPAM protection.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/