Re: Motion for reinstatement of Photo Coordinator

I agree with Jill about the need for a job description for the Photo
Coordinator.

Good photos are terribly important to the society and having a database on the
wiki with references to larger files on discs is an excellent idea.  And while
we have been doing quite well, having Terry, Kelly, Rita, and others
providing necessary photos for the Bulletin and Calendar, I think it behooves
us to be proactive for the future and a Photo Coordinator position helps in
that regard.  As the wiki becomes active, more photos will be needed and used,
and a Photo Coordinator could be active there also.

Its certainly much better to have more good photos than you need than not
enough.  But, while 27kb or 50kb is fine for internet use and the wiki, those
sizes are totally inadequate for print.   As Terry mentioned, guidelines about
cameras and photo file sizes are needed for people to take good photos
appropriate for print.  There are lots of good photographers in AIS and the
recent photo contests attest to those abilities.  Getting more AIS members
involved can only benefit the society.  A Photo Coordinator could be a good
resource for those efforts as well.

Besides the Bulletin, there are photo needs for the Calendar, the slide sets,
the AIS website, the wiki, articles for garden magazines, Section and Regional
and even Affiliate publications, and other future books or pamphlets from
AIS.  There seems to be no end of possible opportunites for involvement of
a Photo Coordinator.

Gary White