Unfortunate news, the serious Ennenga accident

To All:
     I received this yesterday by way of Rita Gormley.   If this is redundant
news, I appologizr, but I have no way of knowing whom among you did or did
not reveive the information.
     The Ennenga's have been active in many areas and on many levels of the
AIS.   Irisarians everywhere wish them a full and speedy recovery.
     With Concern,
          Jeanne

Rita Gormley forwarded to me (and others) the following:
I received this from Jim & Ruth's Daughter and wanted to let their friends
in the iris society know about the accident.
Leslie Jobe
Owensboro, KY
Region 6
I am Mary Richling, Omaha daughter of James and Ruth Ennenga. Mom and dad
were in a terrible car accident on October 2nd in Roanoke, VA.   Both are
alive
and recovering. I am attempting to send this note to the people  whom dad
corresponds with. I will be staying at their home in Knoxville for 2-3
weeks,
when another sister will fly in to care for them.
get some bed sores. His condition is still critical.
Mom has been moved to a skilled nursing facility where we will work to help
her regain her strength and improve her health. She is very weak, but
improving  every day.
Dad has been moved to a Specialized hospital area which deals in Pulmonary
ICU. He was on a ventilator in Roanoke, but that has been removed. He has a
tracheotomy to help suction the secretions off his lungs. Yesterday, he was
coughing up the fluids very well, and had very little suctioning done. That
is
his most serious issue, in my opinion. He canbt speak yet due to the trach.
He
is in a chest brace, which looks like a turtle shell. This must be worn
whenever  he is at a vertical angle of more than 30 degrees. It is
uncomfortable to
him,  but a necessity. He is being fed through IV.  He will be encouraged to
get  off the suctioning machine, then will be sat up and slowly recover.
Yesterday, I fed him two cups of ice water with a little straw-on-a-stick,
and
think it must have tasted like fine wine, as dad enjoyed it very much.
I do not know how long each will be the facility they are at. My sisters and
I should know more today or tomorrow.
Ibll keep the details to a minimum, but here is what happened: Mom/dad were
in a construction zone on I-81 in Roanoke. They had stopped. A construction
dump  truck with a full load of broken concrete pieces did not stop and hit
them
from  behind. More cars were involved. The truck lost control and dumped
itbs
load on  top of mom/dadbs car. Everything behind the two front seats was
destroyed. The  car caught fire. A 22 yr old volunteer fireman saw the whole
thing, pulled dad  (driver) from the car, and heard mom yelling. He doused
the
flames in the car  and around mom, then had others spray him with fire
retardant.
He went into the  burning car, and pushed mom out the door while other
truckers pulled her out.  Their car is a total loss It is a miracle they are
here
today.
I just wanted to let dad/mombs friends know why they have not heard from
them, and let you know that I will keep up with dadbs emails. He can read,
and
is writing long, lengthy notes with pencil/paper. As soon as I can figure out
how to get the internet to dad, I will take my laptop to the hospital and let
him start corresponding. That will be the best thing for him.
Cards and notes can be sent to their home address and we will take them to
them.  (6913 Chartwell Road, Knoxville, TN  37931).  They are at  Fort
Sanders
Regional Hospital in Knoxville and I don't have the address at  this time.
I probably will write again on their status mid-late next week.
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers,
Mary Ennenga Richling