#6 of 6:letter from Editor to President and Board

To: Jeanne Plank, President, and Members of the AIS Board

Prior to this message, I have posted some previous communications that were sent out by Bob Pries to members of the Bulletin Advisory Committee.  I think the tone of his letters speaks for itself.

I believe in living my life with great regard for courtesy to others.  As a result, I find it intolerable when I am treated with blatant discourtesy, especially when I have done absolutely nothing to deserve rudeness, hostility, and bullying tactics such as the ones to which I have been subjected by Mr. Pries.

On three occasions in the last year, Mr. Pries has publicly humiliated me, and each time I have held my tongue in order to avoid any uncomfortable situations for AIS.  However, at this point, I feel that he has gone a bit too far.

I remind Board Members that Terry Aitken and I presented identical requirements  along with a sample copy of the Bulletin  to ALL bidders prior to the 2005 Fall Board Meeting.  The bids we received represented each printer's attempt to come closest to our specs.  (Due to different printing press types, differences in printing processes and proofs, differences in paper they use, etc., they are not necessarily able to exactly duplicate the specifications of our current printer.)

Perhaps tactics such as those employed by Mr. Pries were considered an acceptable norm in Nazi Germany, but I do not feel that they are appropriate behavior for a member of the Board of the American Iris Society.  In addition, such tactics are even more inappropriate for a member of the Bulletin Advisory Committee, which should be a supportive, encouraging, and productive (rather than counterproductive) group.

I ask the President and the Board to remove Mr. Pries from his position on the Bulletin Advisory Committee.  If he is allowed to remain in his present capacity, I will be unable to attend the Fall Board Meeting this year, for the sake of my physical and emotional well-being.  I do not feel that I should be subjected to Mr. Pries' abuse, and I will not tolerate further abuse of this nature.

Thank you for your support,
Bruce Filardi