Re: Handbook Revision

In a message dated 10/5/2006 3:43:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,
CEMahan@aol.com writes:

I  am  quite open to point scale GUIDELINES for blue, red, white, but I  do
not
think that we should make these   REQUIREMENTS.

You asked for comments, Roy. I find it difficult  to imagine how a point
scale for blue, red and white ribbons is  going to improve anything. It takes
 long
enough to judge a show  now...often cutting into viewing time for the
public.
I would not  ever want to be on a judges panel that was point judging
exhibition  entries for various ribbons. And I seriously doubt if anyone else
 would.
After all, we are judging horticultural excellence not the merits of  the
iris. Why make this time-consuming task even more complex?   Count me
against this
idea. Clarence

***
All,

I agree with the setting of guidelines for Blue, Red and  White Ribbons.  I
would never propose point scoring all varieties in a show  as you would never
finish.  However, I believe strongly that a Blue Ribbon  winner should be a 90
point plus scorer to receive that level of ribbon.   We have all heard and
seen horror stories.  My biggest gripe as a Judge is  when other judges want to
award a blue ribbon to something grown way out of  class or cut too short for
its class.  I saw a show on the east coast one  time where blue ribbons were
awarded to TBs that were cut to less than 15  inches.  That is patently wrong.
I believe point scales would be  helpful to alleviate this type of crappy
judging.

I still believe that a partially open bloom should be considered as an open
bloom and to take off points for form.  It has never been a problem for me
explaining this to exhibitors or students in Judges' Training.

Jim M.