From: Robert Pries <101p@rewrite.aisboard.org>
To: aisdiscuss <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Fri, Nov 18, 2016 8:12 am
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Are plant societies on the verge of  extinction?

Just this fall I wanted to join the Raleigh Chrysanthemum society. The local club noted in the Triangle gardener that there would be a show in November and that they met on a Tuesday at noon the last of each month. I was NOT interested in showing but I was interested in finding cultivars that would overwinter and be great cutflowers for my garden. I would have been willing to join for that information. Presently I have 2 that fill that bill. But I drove an hour into Raleigh on the Day prescribed only to discover they were not having a meeting that month.

I tell this story for two reasons. First what people want from a plant society is not always the societies main thrust, garden plants verses show plants. And second it is critical that meetings take place on a regular basis, or put another way that the organization runs predictably. Yes I am one of those old farts that does not want my information from Facebook, although I do not begrudge those that do. But note having meetings on weekdays is great for us retired folks but does little for working people. I believe one of the challenges to plant societies is meeting the needs of a more diverse population.

I think the importance of mentoring new members can not be underestimated. I started/continued with the AIS because Frances Boyd was a mentor to me.