From Anner Whitehead

Begin forwarded message:

Date: November 4, 2010 8:33:49 AM PDT
Subject: For AIS Discuss, Please

Greetings.

As some may be aware, I too, have taken a personal interest in the history and evolution of the form of the AIS Seals.

I'd like to endorse what I understand to be Dr. Stahly's take on the intriguing issue of the incorrect date having appeared in some publications. I too, believe, it is an aberration, a clerical error of no real grave or abiding import, which was corrected in due course. I think it is odd that it happened, but it is only to be expected that in nearly one hundred years of organizational history there will have been some nonsenses made.

Since John wants to document this matter, I will offer a few observations.

First, unless we find the original artwork somewhere we really don't know what the Board accepted for the second Seal. The record is maddeningly vague on this whole subject and I never could tell when I was researching the matter whether it was vague because something had suddenly gotten awkward, or vague because it was not considered important that the record be more detailed. I believe this is not the only area in which the record of organizational history gets vague during this period.

There is, frankly, some question in my mind as to whether the Board ever approved the first Seal, although they certainly never repudiated it, and they did use it officially on publications. The designer of the first seal, B. Y. Morrison, was, however, alive and very prominent in American horticulture when the demand for a new Seal arose. That said, I can't imagine him being devastated by replacement of his design so that the new Seal design process probably became complicated because of unpragmatic overenthusiasm in some quarters, indeed Fischer tells us as much.

Anyway, to my knowledge, the original artwork for the second seal as approved by the Board is not extant, unless, it survives in the AIS Archives, or was appended to the official minutes of the meeting in which it was approved. Since there appears to be interest in pulling together all that is known on this subject, I suggest you investigate that possibility.

Second, if you will  examine your copy of the Golden Anniversary Issue of the Bulletin, which is Section One of BAIS 196, January 1970 with Jesse Wills as Guest Editor, you will see on the front cover and the inside cover that in commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Society, an "Official Medal" was struck and sold in versions silver and bronze. This medal was struck onto a circular blank and one side offers irises and the anniversary date, while the other side shows a version of the Seal adjusted minimally to the circular format. The founding date is 1920. The copy on the inside cover of BAIS 196ii reads, "The obverse depicts the AIS Seal. The reverse symbolizes the progress of the Society, and of the Iris during the half century."  The point of contact for ordering was Mr. Benson.  So, here we have publication in the broader sense of the word, in 1970, of what is identified as "the Seal," bearing the correct date.  One more datum for the collection.

I think, John, since you mention wanting to do something about this information, were I in in your position, I'd simply pull together a cogent memo touching the points you wish to make about the history of the issue as known to date, with citations to all primary documents, and photocopies or scans of same, then submit that to the Board as a Special Report and Memorandum to the Minutes of the Meeting, to be archived therewith. I would suggest you also send a copy to the Library where there is a folder on AIS Seal History, or so I presume, as I sent the Librarian a copy of my article on the subject which appears on the current AIS Web Page.

Cordially,

Anner M. Whitehead
Richmond, VA