Re: Valuable Information

I have been gone all day and it is a bit hard to address all that has been
said but here is an
attempt.

First I probably have no more ideas than all of you. I do something that does
set me apart. I speak on the phone and by e-mail to a great number of you. I
am sure there are times when people say its not Pries again. But my
conversations with many of you are where these ideas come from. Perhaps
because I process your thoughts and those of many other AIS members is why I
seem to have so many ideas. I believe the talent within AIS is extensive and I
continue to learn from all of you.

I have a habit of not connecting the dots. I often say things that I assume
will be understood without really filling in all the data. I am sure I am
accused of being wordy enough already. But perhaps I am guilty of taking for
granted that you understand more that I have really said. For example Ahner
has written this huge message which more eloquently says 90% of what I have
been trying to say and I advise everyone to read it

For example the motion I have made was not meant to make the librarian
immediately start making a traveling exhibit. It was actually directed at the
idea that traveling exhibits could be beneficial and we need to begin the
development of such exhibits. But if you read my comments I also indicate that
any such exhibits should be a cooperative effort between the librarian and the
proposed satellite that would house such an exhibit and a final contract
should be worked out with the approval of the board. For example we might ask
Presby if they would like to be a satellite of the AIS library with an AIS
exhibit what they would like to see in such an exhibit. The librarian might
also come back with what we have that seems reasonable to send given the
potential display facilities and ability to protect these artifacts. If a
rational theme and reason for the exhibit could be worked out, than it would
not be difficult to find money either donations or grants that would support a
well thought out and well presented program. But it does not work well in
reverse. Although there are lots of grants out there they should not drive
what we want to do by some of their bizarre requirements. I have heard of one
such that if we all started taking accordion lessons they would support many
goals of our organization, but that would be stupid. I also try not to
disclose privileged information. I may be told by someone that if we did a
certain project they would make sure it had the support needed but they do not
want this known. I might say there is financing available,  you just have to
trust my word.because I do not disclose such trusts.

I have been violating one aspect of both Ahners wise remarks and the precepts
presented in the book summary presented by Dennis Hager. I have been making
motions without sufficiently going through all the development stages
suggested in the document on non-profit structure. I have had to do this for
three reasons. First the structure for development of these ideas has never
been in place in AIS. Secondly I have discussed these ideas with members and
no action has taken place, and third I am leaving the board next fall and have
little time left to get these issues in front of the board. Making such a
motion is heavy handed but the only recourse open to me. Despite Ahners wise
remarks it is not just the present board but past boards that she served on
that have allowed us to fall into the poor leadership position in the plant
world that we now face. Responsibility is on all of us. We have a great
challenge in front of us and we will either emerge a better organization or
very soon a dead organization.