RE: Motion for library exhibits

Bob,

While a traveling exhibit is a nice idea, as you mentioned in a previous email
- we are operating currently at a $14,000+ loss for this next year alone IF
everyone comes in at or below estimates.  How will a traveling exhibit be paid
for - mailing/shipping (library mail is still available but at a slower than
snail's pace), insurance, security.  Other than the 3 places you have
mentioned, how would we get the word out to other libraries/clubs/groups that
such a thing is available???  There is no money in the PR budget for such a
thing.  I doubt that the 3 places you've mentioned would be willing to pay for
any of it since many are operating at reduced budgets due to the state of the
economy and donations in general.  Perhaps we could start a fund for such a
thing, but this could possibly take away from anyone donating money for the
general fund, etc?  It is a thought.

I suppose that the exhibits could be on loan as a semi permanent exhibit, such
as many people do at museums, however, the insurance comes into play.
Recently my region (15) lost most of it's historical documents when our
historian died and the people in charge of his estate threw out "old iris
papers".  We are currently attempting to replace, copy and/or recreate some of
our history from each affiliate - a daunting task to say the least. (Back up
copies of everything are being burned onto discs.)

I would love to see the money spent on a true permanent library that could be
visited by people interested in iris and iris history instead of what exists
now, but unless someone donates the land, building and funds, I don't see this
happening either.  Many of our artifacts are irreplaceable, so unless copies
could be made, I would be extremely
hesitant to send them anywhere without additional security in place, which
bring us back to the financial part again.

These are just a few of the points that need to be addressed.

Cheryl

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/