RE: Fall Board Meeting Motions

Hi Kate,

The actual fate of the Symposium ballot itself wasn't really decided at the
Fall Board meeting, except to place it on the AIS website for downloading &
printing by ALL who visit the website, so that non AIS members could also put
in their two cents.

One of the areas of discussion was to place the ballot in the "black & white
business Bulletin" (which also wasn't decided on because the costs were
unavailable.).  If you really think about it, having each affiliate print out
a 2 sided copy and distributing that to the membership should not cause a HUGE
financial burden on any of them!  The burden would be on the Affiliate
President (or whoever is designated) to tally the votes and send the results
to the RVP who would then tally all the affiliates in their region and send
the results to Gerry.  Whether the ballot is passed out at a meeting, mailed
with a newsletter, or sent electronically is moot.  If an affiliate has 100
members and they send the ballot to each one of their members by mail, at most
the cost is @$100 (@40 cents per copy and 44 cents for mailing), if it is done
SEPARATELY.  Adding one or two 2 sided pages to a newsletter will not really
increase the cost that much.  Since most of the affiliates do not have that
many members, the cost would be minimal.  If a member objects to the cost of a
stamp to mail in their ballot to their Affiliate President, then how badly do
they want to vote the Symposium ballot?

I would like to see the Symposium Chair not only tally the votes for all, but
also to perhaps report on the regional differences, which would help identify
the really good growers all over the US & Canada.  For example, one of my
seedlings did terrible in Arizona (which is strange because our climates are
very similar), but did fantastic in the northern California coastal region!
It seems to be growing well in the central US so far. ( I've yet to get it
east of the Mississippi).  Growth habits of introduced cultivars is
unavailable for the most part, but this is information that the public and all
irisarians could find valuable, and the Symposium is the way to do it in my
opinion.

Cheryl Deaton

> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:08:11 -0500
> Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Fall Board Meeting Motions
> From: just1moreiris@gmail.com
> To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
>
> Am I to infer then that non-internet users are to be encouraged to
> participate in the Symposium however the expense associated with their
> participation, i.e. printing and possibly mailing or adding extra pages to
> newsletters, is being offloaded to the affiliates? Making sure I clearly
> understand is important to me because 25% of Region 16 membership fall
under
> the category of non-internet users.
> Kate
> 2009/11/16 Jody Nolin <jody.nolin@gmail.com>
>
> > I assume that you mean the Affiliates Liaison, Lynn.
> >
> > I'm not sure I'm the best person to recap all the discussion on the
> > topic of printing the Symposium, but I can give it a try. I'm sure I
> > will miss some important points, so the rest of the group can forgive
> > me, or add what I leave out.
> >
> > Kate, as you can see by the various motions, we kicked this back and
> > forth for a while. At one point the continuation of the symposium
> > itself was debated. (The feeling was that most sections have their
> > own version, and TBIS has a TB version.)
> > I think the final decision was based on a couple of factors:
> > 1. low number of votes, even before the change to the current format and
> > 2. high cost of the pages in the Bulletin and
> > 3. the static nature of the list of winners. Little change is seen
> > from year to year.
> >
> > Suggestions for ameliorating the situation for non-computer users
> > included printing in regional newsletters and bringing printed copies
> > to club meetings. There were more, but, again, I don't have all the
> > discussion commited to memory.
> >
> > So, I hope I got that close to right. I'm sure someone will tell me
> > if I didn't.
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Gerry Snyder <geraldcsnyder@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > Chair,
> > >>

> > > I assumed one of the board members who supported the action would be
> > eager
> > > to explain it.
> > >

> > > Gerry

> > > To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary
> > > <aissecretary@irises.org>
> > > The archives for AISDiscuss are at:
> > > http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/

> > To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary
> > <aissecretary@irises.org>
> > The archives for AISDiscuss are at:
> > http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?h=myidea?ocid=PID2472
7::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_myidea:112009