From: "K. Loberg" <iris.loberg@comcast.net>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:08:47 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [AISdiscuss] Two Ideas - Increasing Advertising and Participation

I regret I can't be at the Fall Board meeting.   I thought I'd present a
couple of my thoughts here instead.

When one looks at the Fall Treasurer's report and sees 2 years of losses in
A.I.S. (17,026.19 and 20,658.50) it gives everyone cause for concern.   In
times of positive membership and economic growth for this organization, good
outcomes are often easier to plan, but when the reverse happens, it can be a
challenging time.  We are in challenging times.

When membership numbers are in a long term decline, and when income isn't
keeping up with expenses.perhaps it's time to recharge efforts in a couple of
areas.     I have two recommendations for everyone to consider:

#1)   Seek new and better advertising revenue. Consider selling Ads on the
A.I.S. Website.

  As I see it, there are only 3 types of revenues that are the backbone of
AIS:   Membership dues, Advertising, and Fundraisers.    With memberships on
the decline, increasing membership revenue can only occur with getting more
new members, or increasing the dues, which I don't think would be popular.
New or more profitable fundraisers is one possibility.   However, I think the
greatest potential exists with seeking new advertising dollars.   What about
adding Advertising to the AIS Website?   Advertising through the internet has
been GROWING  this decade, and I think a major revenue potential is being
overlooked if advertising is not considered for the AIS Website.  It doesn't
have to be blatant and overwhelming, it could be designed to be tactful less
obtrusive.

   There was some earlier discussion about hiring an Executive Director.  I
think the discussion was a way for people to express a need to 'do something'.
Perhaps this 'do something' thought would best be oriented towards getting
expert advise on how to increase Advertising Dollars.  Does AIS have
individuals who could work together to create plans to increase Advertising
Dollars in many areas, or should AIS look to Advertising Consultants for new
answers or new ways to get advertising dollars?   I think potential is there.
are we tapping into all the advertising potential that may be there?

#2)   Get more participation from Affiliates and Regional Officers and
Committees through AISDiscuss.

This AISDiscuss is an excellent forum for networking and is perhaps the best
way for ideas to be encouraged and presented, which could lead to greater
things happening.   Getting even more people involved and working together may
be one way to try to head off the AIS membership decline.  When people are
involved in the problems and challenges, people get involved in creating the
solutions as well.   I am suggesting that a representative from every
Affiliate be invited to participate here on AISDiscuss, and additional
representatives from every region (officers and key committees, like bulletin
editors) be invited to participate.  Too often news getting to regions and
affiliates is going by slow boat, or no boat at all.  Let's get more involved,
so that we have more opportunity for networking and idea generation!

Thank you for your consideration of these two suggestions.

Kitty Loberg