The Mahan Book: An Observation

<<I also understand there is possibly a different discount schedule,  but to
date I have not received any other information.
John Ludi
AIS  Storefront>>

At the risk of intruding to speak to the truly obvious,  I think that, having
been a bookstore inventory buyer, I should,  perhaps, comment on a couple of
points.

First, the terms you have been quoted are about standard for the trade,
points-wise, however, it is important to distinguish between buying with return
privileges, or without. With same, unsold but still merchantable  copies of a
title may be shipped back to the publisher at the  buyer's expense for credit--
credit, not necessarily an  actual refund-- and there may be time limits on
this. Now, Mr. Pries  has said that, under the terms someone has negotiated you
do not, in  fact, enjoy return privileges. Accordingly, balancing anticipated
 demand in a given time frame, the sliding discount/volume schedule  ratios,
and the AIS sales price-- which has already been published and  does not leave
much wiggle room for expenses---is the nature of the chore at  hand. Are you
expected to pay up front?

Second, has anything been said about the cost of shipping the  books across
country, or the actual anticipated time involved in same?  Typically, unless
something has changed, these expenses are, in the case of  hard covers not
involved in a special freight deal, paid by the  purchaser. Sometimes books bought
non-returnable ship free. In past, UPS was  much favored, however, should you
be paying for this, be aware  that there may be significant cost variables
involving shipment  weight in relation to time in transit, and  insurance
considerations. Conversely, all this may be entirely at the  publisher's discretion.

I have pondered, and concluded it is impossible to  anticipate how far the
book is going to make it into general trade. The  publisher is private and
quirky, the subject is arcane,  and the suggested retail price is correspondingly
high. I think it  unlikely that stacks of this book will appear in every chain
store,  but much depends on what else is being published, and on the personal
quirks of the buyers and merchandisers. It also depends on how well the
publicity machine is cranking, which includes industry reviews, and word of
mouth.

I'm reading the book now, a gift from the author, and enjoying  it. From time
to time Clarence sends me manuscripts of one sort or another  to read.
Whereas we share a passion for the subject, and for language, we  differ markedly in
how we approach these matters-- indeed, our  visions have been known to
collide--- so that he is aware he  will never receive an unconsidered sugary
attaboy from me;  hence, I suppose, my utility.

I believe this book will interest anyone not actively  hostile to the written
word who engages the  Genus on anything beyond the most primitive sensory
level. Moreover, I think that when someone one knows publishes a  book, it
behooves one to salute their labors, which  are typically solitary, humbling, and
born of love.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead