inquiry from CIS re: cooperating society

At the recent CIS (Canadian Iris Society) board meeting I was
asked/volunteered to collect information on the following;
Explore the possibility of the CIS becoming an official co-operating society
with the AIS.

Overview:
At present there are two separate iris entities within Canada, the CIS and
then AIS region 16 (which encompasses all of Canada). The cooperating
society item that I am inquiring about has a history that dates back approx
16 or 17 years. At that time a request to the AIS was initiated and an offer
from the AIS with terms was actually received, I think.... I cannot find any
records (board meeting minutes) yet on this (just started looking). I am
going on memory here and would like to find out about the exact previous
situation plus at the same time explore opening a dialogue on this again.

The AIS already functions in Canada with an established region, recognizes
Canadian iris introductions as equals with USA introductions for AIS awards,
and functions internationally as the registrar of new iris cultivars. So
with the AIS already functioning on a North American scale with Canada and
functioning internationally in the registration area I don't see the
cooperating society designation as totally outside the realm of possibility.
In fact I almost see it as somewhat of a natural progression in this
particular case.

Any info is welcome. I put this out into this private AIS forum for
discussion. Interested to hear your input on this subject.
I will report my findings at the next CIS board meeting in February 2007.
Thanks folks.

Christopher Hollinshead | AIS Website | Region 16 RVP
3070 Windwood Drive
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 2K3
AIS website: www.irises.org <http://www.irises.org/>
e-mail: wolf-com@rogers.com