To: <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] A Membership Idea

Dear Clarence and Others;

I think the AARP idea is a splendid one. As Public
Relations Chairman I have had wonderful input from my
committee, but I am eager to hear any and all ideas
that come forward. We are presently investigating many
possibilities and the AARP seems one of the best. I am
suffering under a time constraint that dose not allow
for a full development of this thought before the
board meeting. My problem is based around a couple of
sick puppies that I am trying to arrange for care; so
that I can attend the board meeting. It will be a
great hardship on my part to be able to attend, so I
will not promise that I will be able to go. At the
moment it appears unlikely. But I certainly will do
everything within my ability to follow through on your
idea. As a member of AARP, I know that they prefer to
build articles around individuals. If we had a movie
star or prominent politician that was an AIS member I
am sure we would have no problem getting a feature
article about the value of plant societies, especially
the AIS. If anyone knows of such a dignitary on our
AIS membership list it could be a great boon to
insuring that an article was printed.

I wish my best for everyone this fall, Bob Pries

--- CEMahan@aol.com wrote:

The best target opportunity for increasing AIS
membership are people  who
have leisure time and ample financial resources to
use for leisure  activities.
That group of people is the recipient of the largest
 circulation magazine in
the US, namely the AARP Magazine.

After an article appeared in our local Fairfax
County newspaper about the
problem of people who retire without planning for
their retirement activities
and how bored such people can become, I wrote a
letter to the paper about the
opportunity for enjoying membership in a plant
society, using AIS as the
example.  As a result of my letter, we gained about
a dozen new AIS  members. I
tell you this only because it illustrates what
potential AARP  represents for
AIS.

I suggest that the Board find someone to contact the
AARP editors and
propose an article on irises as a hobby activity for
retirement.  I do  not have the
time at present or I would do it. Editors are always
looking  for good
articles with pretty pictures, and getting the
editors to express the  type of
article they would like would go a long way to
making sure the article  was
accepted for publication.

This is just an idea. Use it or ignore it, I shall
not be offended. Just
trying to be useful. Have fun at the fall Board
meeting. I shall be there in
spirit. Clarence

To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS
Secretary