Re: Registration images - Amended motion

I think the discussion keeps drifting towards a future requirement and not the motions as it is made. If a person does not submit photos under the condition of the present motion, then they would still register the iris, just without pictures. We seem to keep drifting towards a finished program and not the preliminary experimental one provided for in the motion. The motion as written allows us to begin the experiment. It covers our backends even if perhaps too much so, and it allows us all the time we wish to take on more comprehensive guidelines for the future. I could crank out a set of guidlines for this proposal in a hour. Since we are NOT writing the be all and end all of guidelines it is silly to keep moving the date for a set of guidelines off since the prelimainary ones are only to function while we begin this experiment. They will be replaced by more comprehensive ones in the future. But if you do not begin you will never gain the experience a having started. I would leave the motion alone now and if it passes we can evolve something better in the future. Since the proposal is only for a voluntary program it allows foreign registrars the chance to input on a later more mandatory program if that is what is desired. It does not shut anyone out from the development of the next step. it only allows us to take a step.

----- Original Message -----
From: "cheryl deaton" <region15kids@hotmail.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:39:29 PM
Subject: RE: [AISdiscuss] Registration images - Amended motion

I never thought August first was the date for the final product.  However,
taking into account the import of the information we will need to implement
the proposal, I feel that input from hybridizers and foreign iris societies is
a PRIORITY for the first submission and their busiest time is from now until
October.  Other things to consider - the cost of an external hard drive
capable of storing the proposed images, the possibility of burning dvds to
store the pictures, camera requirements (I have a digital camera and I have NO
idea how many dpi it has), which Janet could provide input since she has been
in charge of the Photo Contest but I am sure that Bob Pries (with the wiki)
and possibly Kelly and John Jones and Chris would have suggestions as well.
Tracy might not have the time needed to accomplish some of the work involved,
so we would need to look into that as well.  And I for one am not willing to
release my photos to AIS for ANYTHING THEY WANT TO USE IT FOR when I register
an iris, so there are implications for that as well.  If a hybridizer is
unwilling to furnish a picture with that criteria, will we refuse the
registration?
I think August 1 is a good starting point for gathering information to work
from NOT submitting a first set of guidelines. And your amended motion says
that August first is the deadline for the first set of proposed guidelines.
Cheryl