From: Robert Pries <robertpries@embarqmail.com>
To: aisdiscuss <aisdiscuss@aisboard.org>
Sent: Thu, Mar 17, 2011 8:41 am
Subject: Re: [AISdiscuss] Motion regarding image submission for Iris
registrations

Clarence; These are good questions you raise for the committee mentioned in
the
otion to embrace. But they do not seem as important for the voluntary
ubmission suggested in the motion. When we get to a position of some
experience
ith accepting photos, we will have a better idea of the protocol needed for
EQUIRING photos.
The committee should be informed by the general procedures and the copyright
olicies already in place with the Iris Encyclopedia, The slide programs, and
he bulletin. These have all been vetted at one time or the other with Bob. But
ob has always provided the disclaimer that he is not a copyright lawyer.
opyright in the digital age has become very blurred and frankly, whether it is
rint or digital, todays technology allows for all types of abuses. But that is
ore a reflection of our greater society as opposed to the Iris Society.
Since the motion suggests a rather informal approach to begin with, I think
the
verseas registrars would be willing to see how it goes, and be a part of the
evelopment of procedures as we move toward more rigorous requirementss.
Garybs motion is exactly what I have been trying to suggest. It starts us
aining experience and actually getting something accomplished while it allows
or the evolution of something more substantial. It seems to me much better to
egin the process so people can slowly adjust to it, and have input, rather
than
ttempt a perfected mandate from the board that would surely aggravate many if
hey were suddenly forced to comply.