Errors in the Iris Encyclopedia

About Wiki Errors;

The Iris Encyclopedia has a method for reporting any error on the
Encyclopedia. It says to contact me gives my e-mail address on the home page.
B  Of the 22,000 pictures presently on the Encyclopedia I have had less than a
dozen people contact me with picture errors. When I receive this information
the picture is not removed instantly but is left up for a time, until I can
contact the contributor, so they can compare it to other pictures, and know
that their file is in error, otherwise there is nothing to prevent them from
putting it up again. B  Considering the volume of information I would say that
AIS should not be ashamed of this type of error rate.

If people are saying bad things about the Encyclopedia than I suggest they are
not passing them on to someone who can correct them, and are not really
interested in helping, but more in playing the game of Gotcha!! The
Encyclopedia is a searchable database. When the reconstruction is finished in
about two months it will probably work as well as the Iris Register in speed.
We have put 32,000 cultivars into the Encyclopedia in a roughly a year. I
would expect we will do the same in another year. There are 63,000 cultivars
in the Iris Register. Of course the Encyclopedia contains more than the
register because it also has botanical names.

Most every change in the encyclopedia is looked at by a docent. Often more
than one. Submissions by competent irisarians are perhaps not always reviewed
as carefully as those by new faces. The whole concept of a wiki, is that it is
created and improved by its users. There are many irisarians that think they
know something, but have not researched their information deeply, and have
accepted errors that have appeared in other AIS literature. I suspect the
quality of information in the wiki is superior in general to most other AIS
sources because it gets constant review. And those that question it should
pass on that question to me and I will double check.