Re: Loss of Francesca Thoolen

It was with sadness that I heard of Francescas passing. Although I never met Francesca in person, we spoke on the telephone frequently over the last twenty years and I have thought of her as a friend for that long. Francesca was AIS treasurer before Glen Corlew and remained active in various parts of the Iris Society. She was personally interested in hybridizing a fertile family of Arilbreds using Iris pumila and Iris aphylla. I worked with Francesca on the first SIGNA checklist along with Jean Witt and 7 other people. Even before that; the blue-ribbon panel I chaired to propose the Species Awards to the AIS board was composed of Francesca, Ben Hager, and Currier McEwen. Francesca was always energetic and positive and anxious for the Iris Society to move forward and do great things. She has been a great influence, and contributor to what we have today. She will be missed.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pat Toolan" <pattoolan2@bigpond.com>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:22:47 PM
Subject: [AISdiscuss] Loss of Francesca Thoolen

As President of the ASI I would like to let you know this sad news.
Francesca Thoolen passed away on Monday with her family by her side.
Francesca was the ASI Checklist editor for many years until her eyesight
started failing and she passed on her job to a new apprentice who has since
taken over the position. While I did not meet Francesca in person we became
great friends through ASI.
We will all miss Francesca greatly.
Pat Toolan