Re: AIS Website re. the motion

I'm just in from the garden and haven't read all of the email messages, but
the following may be of some help. I've omitted much of the text as it is
quite lengthy. The important points, I believe, are made, however. The
numbered items in red below are pertinent to this discussion.

From Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, p. 201,  re. LAY ON THE TABLE:
(To interrupt the pending business so as to permit doing something else
immediately)

   The motion to Lay on the Table enables the assembly to lay the pending
question aside temporarily when something else of immediate urgency has
arisen, in such a way that:

*there is no set time for taking the matter up again;
*but (until the expiration of time limits explained on p. 206) its
consideration can be resumed at the will of a majority and in preference to
any new questions that may then be competing with it for consideration.

   This motion is commonly misused in ordinary assemblies -- in place of a
motion to Postpone Indefinitely, to Postpone to a Certain Time, or other
motions. Particularly in such misuses, it also is known as a motion "to
table."

   By adopting the motion to Lay on the Table, a majority has the power to
halt consideration of a question immediately without debate. Such action
violates the rights of the minority and  individual members if it is for any
other purpose than the one stated in the first sentence of this section.  . .
.

(from pages 202, 203) The subsidiary motion to Lay on the Table:

1. Takes precedence over all subsidiary motions, and over any incidental
motions that are pending when it is made. It yields to all privileged motions,
and to motions that are incidental to itself.
2. Can be applied to main motions, with any other subsidiary motions that may
be pending;
. . .
3. Is out of order when another has the floor.
4. Must be seconded.
5. Is not debatable.
6. Is not amendable.
7. Requires a majority vote.

Betty Roberts

On Jun 4, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Michelle Snyder wrote:

> Since I am traveling until tomorrow, I can't look up anything in Roberts
Rules.  I am hesident to place the motion to table out for vote.  If someone
has a current edition of Roberts Rules and wants to quote the relevant section
I would be appreciative.  Or, we can wait till I get home tomorrow evening.
Michelle

> Sent using CloudMagic
>

> On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Harold Stahly <100s@rewrite.aisboard.org>
wrote:

> I think Susan is correct. A motion to table stops all discussion and
requires an immediate vote.

> Hal Stahly
>
> On Jun 4, 2014, at 1:37 PM, Susan Grigg wrote:
>
> > Please check/Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised./ I believe the
> > motion to table is not debatable, is not amendable, and requires a
> > majority vote.
> >
> > Susan Grigg
> >

> > On 6/4/2014 1:14 PM, Janet Smith wrote:
> >> P.S.S. I didn't think a motion could be made on a motion already in
> >> discussion!

> > To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary
> > <aissecretary@irises.org>
> > The archives for AISDiscuss are at:
> > http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/

sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary The archives for
AISDiscuss are at: http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/