AIS Website Audience

The recent discussion about upgrading/redesigning the AIS website raises
the question for me:  Who do we see as the audience(s) for the AIS
website?  As someone who is only aware of the recent history of the AIS
website, you probably all have answered this previously.  However, let me
offer my take on it to see if this is what we are looking for.

I would divide the audience into at least three categories based on their
interest in AIS and/or irises and the amount they have used the website.

1. Infrequent and even first time users.  They have some interest in
irises; but, are not members of the AIS and may not even know what the AIS
is or does.  Potential members!  Goal: Increase interest and knowledge
about irises and AIS.

2.  Occasional to regular users.  Have some idea what is on the website,
probably members of AIS.  Goal:  Keep them as satisfied members and maybe
increase involvement.  Encourage membership if not already a member.

3.  Frequent to power users.  Know most of what is available on the website
and may have bookmarked various pages to save themselves time.  I assume,
or at least hope, that everyone on AISdiscuss would fall into this
category.  Goal:  Make it easy for them to obtain what they need.  I'm not
sure how many, if any, non-members would fall into this category.

Do we see any of these groups as our primary audience?  If so, I would aim
the front page at them and look for ways to direct the other groups to
different pages.  I'm not sure it is possible to serve such a range of
interests with one design/approach.

Regards,

Wayne Messer
wrmesser@gmail.com