Election of Directors

Anner Whitehead requested that this be posted to AISDiscuss:

-----------------------------

Good evening.

I am deeply dismayed, and more than somewhat shocked to read the responses here to John Jones' having brought a procedural error by the Board to the Board's attention.

No, that is not quite right; I am disgusted. Really, someone must speak here, and speak plainly.

John Jones holds what is arguably, from the standpoint of our contribution to horticulture, the most important job in AIS, that of Registrar. He is widely respected, and has been for many years. There is not a pissant or self-serving bone in his body, when it comes to his dedication to the AIS and its welfare. This is common knowledge among right-thinking people.

I think it is absolutely scandalous that anyone would suggest that in bringing this unfortunate matter of the Board's failure to follow the procedures mandated in the Bylaws to the attention of his colleagues, he is functioning peevishly from wounded pride, frustrated ambition, hurt feelings--pouting childishly and scheming to regain some purchase on power, in other words-- because he did not get elected to the Board this last time.

This suggestion is insulting beyond all imagining, and I consider the tone employed in conveying it entirely subprofessional. I really must question the judgment of those whose first reaction to this tedious and potantially expensive situation is to articulate their opinion that it has been conjured to finesse a cheesy personal advantage.

John Jones is not an employee of the Society--actually he probably is and if you want to worry about legalities that is a fine one to consider some time, job definitions and FICA wise-- he is an Administrative Officer of the Society, and due all the respect of his position. His record of sterling service to the AIS, his attention to AIS policy and his ability to carry on in daunting times--of which I assure you he will see plenty as an Administrative Officer--is exactly what got him the job, among other things. He does not approach his work for AIS from an emotional basis, and that, along with his unusually supportive nature-- is one reason he was the successful candidate when the Registrar's job needed filling.

I caution you, you are not entitled to treat the Administrative Officers like hired help simply because they receive a modest stipend to offset the financial costs of, in effect, giving you their lives.

Now, what has really happened here is that John has brought a problem to the attention of the Board, presumptively shortly after he realized that there was a problem, but after he made sure he had read the Bylaws correctly, and had considered how it might be remedied. In keeping with the AIS tradition of bringing up problems, he has also offered what he believes to be a valid solution. There may be other valid solutions and if you don't think John's is the best, you must find one which is better but which accomplishes the same things.

The Board apaprently collectively dropped the ball. This is your error. Now you must fix the situation, because that is your duty.

John must have known that in speaking he was risking being accused of being self-serving. But he took that risk, because it was the right thing to do. Observing that the Bylaws have been--is violated the right word?--is always the right thing to do. Don't insult the messenger.

I must say I've seen some shabby behavior from time to time in the AIS, even at the highest ranks, but this business takes the cowpie. I personally think it speaks volumes--hogsheads, shipping containers, tanker ships-- about his accusers.

Sincerely,

Anner M. Whitehead