Re: Wiki Move

Last fall the board approved moving the Iris Encyclopedia off the current host server because it was causing that along with E-membership and lots of AIS stuff to crash. The old server was just not adequate to the job. $2,500 was included in the PR budget to accomplish the task.

The $2,500 was the minimum payment we could make to Confluence who was going to host the wiki. But a number of issues made this a less desirable move. We would have to eliminate the hundreds of contributors which really is the essence of a wiki down to a handful. In negotiating with Confluence and our present host, It became obvious that the current server would not support the Confluence transition software. So an outside consultant would be needed to move to wiki to a second platform, convert it and then transfer it to Confluence. This scared me because consultants cost money and the whole thing seems to be getting out of hand. But I have good news.

I found Tim Valenzuella who advised me that the Confluence software would be a problem for the number of images in the Wiki. But he pointed out that TWiki actually performs quite well when given an adequate server to work from. He has agreed to move the wiki to a new server and act as the host. Not only that but he believes he can improve some of the TWiki software so not only will we have the capacity to continue, but to improve without losing all those users. Tim's fee for hosting is $1000 a year compared to $2500 with Confluence. He also agreed to complete the transfer and solve any glitches for a one time charge of $1,000. Since this is below the budgeted amount and promises to work better it seemed like a no-brainer to go forward. I discussed this with the PR committee and with the president and everyone feels we are getting a good deaL. Look forward to improved service after a very short read only time.