PayPal Section Note.

Since I am not sure AIS discuss allows attachments I
have cut and pasted the following note from the SJI
president. It is not what I am hoping to hear, becuase
I would like to see AIS and its sections building
structures together. But I understand the logic, since
they have had great success with their program.
See following:

Bob,
Sorry I couldn't think clearly last evening. It was a
very long day.

Jill Copeland forwarded me your post. At some point
I'd like to add my
$0.02
and there is no time like the present. If you would
like to forward it
AISdiscuss, feel free.

The transaction costs of PayPal should not be a
sticking point on this
issue. The SJI, with prodding from Catherine Button,
Membership
Chair/Treasurer (thank you Cathy!) recognized the
importance of joining
on-line and simply did it. The welcome packet is now
sent
electronically for
on-line members, which saves more than it costs to
print and mail. That
packet is delivered IMMEDIATELY. Remember that instant
gratification is
what
people expect.

For the SJI, the sticking point is more likely to be a
delay in
delivery of
the welcome packet if a person joins through AIS.
Considering the route
that
this thread has taken, I suspect that the SJI Board
would defer
participation in the AIS online membership system, but
request that
the
welcome packet sent to new AIS members include an
encouragement to join
sections where their interest lie.

As an occasional user of PayPal user, I see little
advantage to
including
the sections in the AIS online membership system. It
only makes it more
complicated and less user friendly.

I would recommend that each section set up their own
online system and
avoid
this argument over who pays processing fees--then get
back to the
irises.

R. Dennis Hager, Vice President
Society for Japanese Irises