Re: Re: AIS Finances

In a message dated 6/9/05 9:05:58 PM, aviolet@montanasky.net writes:

> What or how did the Rose, Dahlia,  Orchid , or
> Federated Garden clubs  managed to survive the insurance crunch????

To All:
     Yes, these groups have "survived" the crunch.   I have been told about
how the Rose, Orchid and Federated Garden Clubs did it.   I don't know about
the Dahlia Society.   If any one knows, it would be helpful. I also know that
some groups -- the Hosta Society, I believe, for one -- do not carry insurance
coverage for their local clubs.
     Now -- what did the Rose and Orchid Society do?   The Rose and Orchid
Societies both have real property -- buildings, etc., not just computers and
inventory.   It is because of that added holding that they were able to
contract
for insurance coverage.   The AIS does not have such capability.
     The National Gardens Clubs discontinued "umbrella" coverage for their
locals.   Instead they reached an "agreement" with an insurance broker to
handle
each club who wished insurance as a separate insurer with some price benefit.
 AIS learned of this last year and it was investigated directly with the
broker (who happens to be located in California).   After lengthy discussion
with
the broker-owner, he acknowledged that his firm could not offer anything
better (or perhaps as good) as the coverage we were getting (and paying big
time to
have) for 2004-2005. Our relationship with him has not been terminated
because AIS understands that the insurance market is so volatile the price for
any
coverage can change at any time and his plan may become much more viable.
     Last year AIS also learned of a national organization that was trying to
find a way to provide affordable insurance for non-profits.   (AIS IS NOT the
only non-profit having a problem.) The difficulty encountered with this
organization is that they are in the "gathering stage." Whereas they can offer
insurance breaks for groups located with in (at that time) 19 states, they did
not
have legal authorization to offer insurance in the remaining 33.   It is
their hope that this could be done within the next few years, but each state
must
be done one by obe, and that didn't aid the insurance situation last year or
-- as far as I know when writing this -- this year.
     I hope this clarifies things a little bit.   This is a VERY large
problem and there are no easy answers.
     Jeanne