Re: Life Memberships

AIS Board,

    As I read Jeannie's message there are three distinct issues we are
discussing: 1. O/S Life memberships; 2. US Life Memberships: and 3. banning the
purchase of multiple triennial memberships.  While 1 & 2 maybe combined into a
motion, I don't think 3. is a wise move and at the very least it should be
discussed at a scheduled Board meeting.  Frankly, issues that monetarily affect
members should have the full airing of a scheduled Board meeting.

    1. Eliminating O/S Life memberships.

        The AIS has no ability to protect itself from currency fluctuations
between countries; therefore, we should immediately eliminate this membership
option by electronic vote.

    2. Eliminating US Life Memberships:

        Electronic voting would be viewed by the membership as a secret vote
without allowing for input from them.  While this discussion has merit, it
should only be voted on in an open Board meeting.  Personally, I'm not supportive
of doing this at this time.

    3.  Banning multiple triennial purchases:

        Eliminating this option for the AIS membership would be viewed very
negatively and probably be revenue neutral at best.  In practice this behavior
of some members to buy multiple membership in advance of a dues increase
usually produces extra revenue in the years of our worst budget shortfalls.  This
is because we don't increase dues until we are running in the red!  A practice
of increasing dues modestly every 3 years would probably do wonders for our
"boom & bust" budgetary cycles.  Also, it would minimize the practice of
multiple membership purchases.

There is a saying that goes something like this: "Every solution creates its
own set of problems."

Therefore, it is best to give serious consideration to all Board actions,
because actions that restrict the options of the members will likely produce a
set of negative problems.  We should be looking at ways to INCREASE options
because then there is a possibility of producing some positive "problems."

It is raining here again too and the temperature is 42 degrees.

Brad