CAPS 2, Planned Giving

CAPS report #2

Perhaps this is a dead time of year. There were no responses to the first
report but of course these topics require some thought and perhaps some of you
plan to read the book I mentioned.

But in the meantime I would like to touch on another topic that was discussed.
Two 30 minute presentations were given on planned giving. Although I listened,
I am not sure I got a lot of take home nuts and bolts messages that one could
act on.

One statistic struck me. 50% of members that have stuck out membership for
more than 10 years are highly likely to donate if approached properly. Frankly
this would appear to me to be a very large portion of our membership. They are
invested in the society and generally want it to succeed after they are gone.

Another statistic showed that baby boomers and older are more likely to give.
I would have thought that obvious. But a profession bdevelopment personb
noted that won should not forget other age groups but not to expect as high a
rate of return on invested energy. I wished a bit more detail on how to go
about soliciting bequests would have been given but I think I could connect
the presenters with our Donations chair if they are agreeable.

B  It seems this is a very diplomatic area that requires a very soft sell and
steady work to accomplish anything. Certainly one problem is that most
organizations do not have a plan laid out to make it easier for someone
considering the idea of a bequest. It seems wise to note that people are also
more likely to give if they see it as achieving a certain goal. We need to
have strategic plans for the society in place such that people donating feel
their money would be used wisely.

The donations person from the Rose Society gave another example. She explained
how bequests could help the Society in a presentation at their national
convention. Afterword a large donation was made by a very long time member who
said he thought they would never ask. Are we asking?

I would suggest an ad in the AIS Bulletin provided we have a packet of legal
information on how one makes a bequest that we can give to interested parties.

--

Bob Pries
Zone 7a