About CAPS

I was asked by someone what is CAPS; B CAPS is the Coalition of American Plant
Societies. It is an informal group that hasB met now for 2 years to discuss
how to save, improve, reinvigorate, etc. American plant societies. B For
almost 20 years now most have been declining. The hope is that ideas can be
cross-pollenated from and to the different groups. If one tries something that
seems to work we communicate it to all.
The conference this year took place at River Farm, a former property of George
Washington and the home of The American Horticultural Society. The meeting was
for two days, the second being a tour of the National Arboretum. I did not
stay for the fun tour the second day. (prices in Washington are outrageous and
just for one day I spent $1000 and it could have been more if the AHS had not
arranged for many half price discounts.) Your can look on the Iris
Encyclopedia in the index for a list of CAPS members.
There were a number of 30 minute presentations, including the following topics
areas: Partnering with other groups such asB Botanical gardens, other plant
societies,B etc., Fundraising (planned giving), Legal copyright issues (All
Things Plants), and probably most important Creating Relevance for Plant
Societies.
The group decided not to create any formal structure but welcomes the
participation of other major plant societies by invitation. The American
Horticultural Society and The Rose Society underwrote this years meetings. The
Herb Society will be hosting it next year.

--

Bob Pries
Zone 7a