Since the prior motion is out for vote, a new motion can be made and put out on discuss once it is seconded.

Michelle

Sent using CloudMagic

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Robert Pries <101p@rewrite.aisboard.org> wrote:

Gerry: Thank you for being proactive. It is much easier to solve these problems before they are facing us and we must react. I would be happy to make your motion when it is possible to do so.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerry Snyder" <7e2de1ee1@rewrite.aisboard.org>
To: aisdiscuss@aisboard.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:43:56 PM
Subject: [AISdiscuss] My second AIS ballot issue -- three iris per class on the Dykes  Medal ballot

Since my previous item is being voted on, I want to get this one being
discussed now, so that it can be handled immediately. It is even more
complicated than the first one, I am afraid.

One rule probably known by few judges is that the ballot for the Dykes
Medal is supposed to include at least three cultivars from each class of
irises. The text of the appropriate section of the Handbook is below.

"To ensure that there will always be three cultivars of each
classification of iris on the eligibility list for the Dykes Memorial
Medal on the Official Ballot, the iris which wins the Dykes Memorial
Medal will be replaced on the list by the Special Medal winner and the
first runner-up (and second runner-up, if necessary) for that
classification of iris (excepting tall bearded where three Special
Medals are awarded each year). Any iris deemed eligible for the Dykes
Medal which has not won the Special Medal for its classification will
retain its normal eligibility for its classification Special Medal."

  I have two issues with the way this is handled in the Handbook:

1) when fewer than three candidates would be available in a class, the
current rule is to use runner(s)-up from the Special Medal ballot in
that class. Two things bother me about this---it means that an iris will
be on the ballot in two places, the Special Medal and the Dykes Medal;
and it means that an iris will be on the Dykes Medal ballot, for the
best iris in the land, without having won the Special Medal as the best
iris in its class. That just seems wrong. I would much prefer that an
earlier winner of the Special Medal, that had been on the Dykes Medal
ballot but had dropped off after its three years, be put back.

Therefore I am suggesting that the rule (but not necessarily the wording
in the Handbook) be changed to the following, and that the appropriate
motion to do so be made after the current voting is completed:

"In cases where there would otherwise be fewer than three irises on the
ballot for the Dykes Medal in any iris class, the most recent earlier
winner(s) of the Special Medal in that class that have been dropped from
the Dykes Medal ballot shall be added back to the ballot in order to
bring the number of candidates up to three."

2) there are two ways I am aware of by which fewer than three candidates
could be normally available, and the Handbook mentions only one---a
nonTB winning the Dykes Medal in its first or second year of eligibility
(if it wins in the third year it would have dropped off the ballot any
way). The other way is that a Special Medal could be won by an iris
originated outside the US and Canada, but first introduced here. Such an
iris is eligible for all awards on the AIS ballot except the Dykes
Medal. If this happens there will again be only two iris in that class
on the DM ballot. In my opinion, fixing this part does not require AIS
Board action, since the rule is "at least three cultivars per iris
class" and the part about there being fewer than three because of a
non-TB willing is just an incomplete explanation that can be handled in
the on-going Handbook revision process.

Gerry Snyder
Awards Chair

--------------------------------------------------------------------- To sign-off this list, send email to the AIS Secretary The archives for AISDiscuss are at: http://www.aisboard.org/lists/aisdiscuss/