Proposed/requested AIS Awards rule change, first of two

There are two special situations in the awards system which, I believe,
will need clarification before the current Handbook revision work is
complete. One of them looks likely to be needed in the preparation of
next year's ballot, and the other might be. The situations are
complicated enough that I will discuss them in separate emails.

This first issue has to do with the requirement that there be at least
two votes and winners (and therefore at least three candidates) on the
ballot for HM and AM in each iris class. I believe that the action to be
taken when there are two candidates is wrong, in that it violates the
spirit of the rule.

Background: During the most recent major revision of the Handbook, it
was felt that there was little prestige is an iris winning a special
medal if there were only a couple candidates. Therefore some special
rules were adopted to increase the flow of iris through the HM and AM
awards in classes that had few introductions, so that there would be
more candidates for the special medal.

Current status: The handbook has the following statements in the AM
section:

-----------------------------------
"The judge is permitted to cast votes for ten percent (10 %) of the
irises eligible to be voted in each classification, or a minimum of two
for each classification.

In each award year, the AM is awarded to the top ten percent (10 %) of
the irises in each classification rounded to the next higher number, or
a minimum of two.

In any given year in which there are fewer than three eligible cultivars
for any Award of Merit, that Award of Merit will not be placed on the
Official AIS Ballot for vote until there are at least three eligible
cultivars for that specific Award of Merit. Each eligible cultivar will
continue on the printed Ballot for the full three years of eligibility."
-----------------------------------

A couple years ago it was discovered that the intent was to have the
comparable rule for Honorable Mention, but that failed to get printed in
the Handbook. At a recent AIS Board meeting it was (re)voted to add that
rule to the Handbook. So currently the rule is being enforced for both
HM and AM.

Problem: The "minimum of two" was intended to increase the number of HM
and AM winners to assure having as many worthy candidates for the
special medals as possible, but if there are only two candidates that
class is not on the ballot and there are zero winners. The effect of the
rule in that situation is the exact opposite of the intention.

Proposal: Change the rule so that when there are only two candidates the
class will be on the ballot with one vote for each judge and one winner.
I do not want to finalize the wording for the Handbook at this time,
just get AIS Board approval for the change.

I discussed the proposed change with Barbara and David Schmieder, who
seem to be the only ones left from the revision committee that put in
the "minimum of two," and they agree that my change would be an improvement.

Gerry Snyder
Awards Chair